Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)  (Read 46578 times)

Offline Nim-rod

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)
« Reply #1340 on: February 27, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »
Looks real slick!
Proud to be "regressing"

Offline Nim-rod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1341 on: February 27, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
I got a package today! "Adeeden" sent me a very nice rattlesnake skinned hackberry beauty! See pages 79 & 86 for pics that Dennis took. I opened the package not a half hour ago and shot it maybe 30 times and it shoots real nice! Happy to have a place for it on my bow rack. I will get some pics of it later this week and post them on the picture thread for the bow swap. Hopefully I can get out to the club and give it a proper shoot this week too.
THANKS DENNIS!
Proud to be "regressing"

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1342 on: February 27, 2012, 04:00:00 PM »
Ooooo that hackberry bow is a looker Sporthunter.  After school today I am going to go purchase my urea based glue and maybe just MAYBE get started on my trade bow....NO wait its Daytona 500 night.  Okay I am JUST going to get the glue purchased.  Starting will wait till Thursday.
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1343 on: February 27, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »
Wow Paul that stick is smokin!!!

Keenan got a call into the harbor master to see if he can hook me up with some leopard shark skins?

yes it does fall right into my weight range  :)
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1344 on: February 27, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »
Nim-rod congratulation on a fine bow. Wow almost 15% complete.

Some nice looking bows in the works. I need it to warm up so I can go get me a gar to skin. But I did go by the craft shop on post and they have a big grizzly sander so getting a few pieces of boo sanded down is going to be easy now.

So my plan a bow is a plain ole osage long bow with flipped tips backed with gar or snakes.

Plan be is either a boo backed IPE or a lame of boo back, hickory self bow way under weight then a belly of osage. Oh and plan c is a plan ole hickory but it is still a stave.

Great work so far.

Here are few pics of where I am on the osage.

I have it to floor tiller but tips are off a bit.

Some knots in the fades.

Same knots from the belly

Well slowly but surely getting there.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1345 on: February 27, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »
Looking good everyone.  The hackberry looks great. Very clean.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1346 on: February 27, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
Keenan,and coaster, would those leopard sharks also lose their colour as they dry- i am geussing all things fishy start fading as you get them out the water.
i will see how these dry- and if they still have a kinda mottled camo pattern i will use them- the halibut skins i did sure look real dark- the blotches are hard to see.

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1347 on: February 27, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
Kip, Thank you

Fujimo, I don't know about the lepards. I have some shark shin that a friend gave. It turned slightly darker when dried as well.
 Some skins retain the color and some just don't.
And the white undersides almost always get transparent
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1348 on: February 27, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
Good looking sticks folks, Looks like your headin' in the right direction there Kelly.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1349 on: February 27, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
Nice progress, guys. Sporthunter, That hackberry is a nice lookin' bow. What are the deminsions on it?
Had to take the hickory backing off my osage board today. After unclamping it had a horrindous glue line with dry spots and gaps...  :bigsmyl:

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1350 on: February 27, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
Thanks guys, did a lot of work on this one, great to see you like it. This was my first cut tree to stave to bow and my second successful bow out of 5 tries, first 3 red oaks broke.

Red, the bow started off with 2" wide limbs rough cut and worked down to 1 3/4" wide. 4" handle, 3" fades, 18" straight limbs then down to 1/2" wide rough tips which have been worked down as well. The top limb has a one inch longer fade making the top limb 1" longer. Stain color is Kona & tips are buffalo horn.

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1351 on: February 27, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »
I am back at the HHB swap bow again. It has been reflexed, and tillered enough to get a long string on it, {with lots of grunting.} It is giveing 45# at 10" on the long string and the tiller is looking good so far. I hope I don't mess up the weight this time, but this stave is clean as a whistle, straight as a die and showing lots of weight, early on.  Now I just need to remember to go slow.....and not to forget about loosing those few pounds on final finishing. Tomorow I should be able to start tiller with a medium brace of about 4" if all continues to progress well.I have been coming in low on weights, so this time I will shoot for 60# and hopefully come in around 50 to 55.
 Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1352 on: February 27, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
This place is cookin again!!!

Gnarly stave Kelly, that's going to be a cool stick when you get R done  :)

I just got done talking with another fisherman from Morro Bay and he says the leopards are a trash fish and is going to try and get me one or two. He says most run two to three feet long. I hope he can get the whole fish to me fast enough so there is no damage to the skins? We will see?

Keep at it Pete !!  I'd like to try some HHB sometime after seeing some of your guys bows!!
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1353 on: February 28, 2012, 12:45:00 AM »
pete, i am sure you know this, but just a gentle reminder- if you are aiming for a pseudo #60- just make sure you dont pull it to 60 while tillering- keep your pulls to your finished desired #. and work on an average of about #3 per inch of draw- so that gives you the ability to more or less calculate your finished poundage at any draw length you are currently working on.
 so what i do is , say drawing my #50 i work until i can calculate that my weight at my required draw is about #60. then i probably spend #5 finishing etc- am now at #55, that leaves me 10% to lose on my shooting in. if i am careful i can always land up a pound or two heavy.
thats just what works for me- took me a few bows to get a system down- just passing it on.
use it or lose it!!

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1354 on: February 28, 2012, 01:15:00 AM »
Fujimo:
 Good reminder, Thanks. It works. At this time I am keeping well below the desired weight just to get things bending well.When I get to a shore brace and full brace I will make sure to not go over the pre finished  weight. I want to be 50 to 55, so I will stay at 60 till  just about done. That should leave some cushion for finishing and shoot in. I jhope.
 Pete

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1355 on: February 28, 2012, 07:33:00 AM »
Looking nice Kelly.

Offline LeeNY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1356 on: February 28, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
I just got back from almost 3 weeks in Florida. Now it's back to work on the swap bow.

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1357 on: February 28, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
After a long afternoon of scraping, sanding and exercising limbs I have a swap bow of desired weight.
 The arms are sore , eyes are burning from dust, and the cheeks are sore from smiling.  :)  
 It's a great day, now I just need to do some  shooting, and finishing.

Might be time to start laying out another one.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1358 on: February 28, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
well done pete- how did the weight come out- sounds like it is spot on!!!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1359 on: February 28, 2012, 10:31:00 PM »
Cool, Pete. Looking forward to pics!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©