Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)  (Read 45766 times)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)
« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
I have a bow to build for another dude, then the swap bow is next. Well actually I guess I did start it, have the billets Z-spliced together. Right now it's about 110 pounds at 1 inch:)

Offline burnt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
got my name. time to start widdling
"TGMM Family Of The Bow"

Offline Cuban Missile

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: January 10, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
HAHA Goose I like how you put that gnarly Osage next to the BELIEVE poster!
Javier

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: January 10, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
Wow love it, Goose. Already some great bows in the works,,,  :campfire:
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: January 10, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »
Looking good guys.

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: January 10, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »
Ive ben doing some research on my recipiant.I might have to totally change my planes for his or her bow to meet there request.Not a problem.That just means I get to start another bow  :bigsmyl:

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: January 10, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »
dmikeyj that is the great thing about this swap, I did not see a bow last year I would not have taken.

Just when you think man no bow can top that one you remember X bow or new one is posted.

Oh I get to wait on the mail man this year.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: January 10, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »
Kelly, I love your floor. What kind of wood is it?

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: January 11, 2012, 03:06:00 AM »
Well I picked out what looks to be a good Hop Hornbeam stave today, and did the layout .Tomorow I might get some shavings on the floor.

Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: January 11, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
I'm also excited to have gotten my name now! Was out of town for a few days and just checked back in last night. I'm thrilled to know he's shooting basically what I asked for myself. Now I just need to figure out what to make. I've got three or four in the works which are between being rouhged out staves, and floor tillered. Now I just need to decide which one will go! Waiting for some pics for inspiration!

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: January 11, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
Some awesome looking bows so far!
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: January 11, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
Roy it is laminate that came with the house.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: January 11, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »
Ok, still sharp.

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: January 11, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
Looking good for this early in the swap guys, guess I better get started on *********'s bow.  Have a mulberry stave floor tillered,and  a hop hornbeam & hackberry staves roughed out and ready to go, just in case......Dan

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: January 11, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
I may start a bow when this dang bow season gets over!  :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
We can still hunt antlerless deer in my county until the end of March due to overpopulation.  For all that overpopulation, they aren't around when I go out...  Guess I'm gonna start building bows instead.

Picked out a black locust stave tonight.  It's getting late, but tomorrow I think I'm going to bring it down to size, seal the back, and bring it in next to the fire to start getting a bit drier sooner than later.  While that dries, I'm gonna try an all bamboo hill style (no glass).  Although I've also got several hickory staves staring at me, plus some ERC.  Damn.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline mwirwicki

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: January 11, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
Started my trade bow!  Chose a very large seasoned 14 year old billet.  Split into 4 smaller billets.  Two over/unders and two side-by-sides.  My recipient is going to get the over/under set.  Chased the growth rings which was minimum effort.  Seasoned osage with 3/16 - 1/4 inch rings splits very clean.  

I'm going to post the link below which will be updated as a Build-Along.

http://photobucket.com/2012TGBowSwap_MWirwicki      

Here's a teaser pic...
       http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc459/mwirwicki/2012%20TG%20Bow%20Swap%20-%20Build%20Along/5BilletsSplicesCut.jpg    

Need to resize pics to 640 pixels wide

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: January 11, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
Started tillering a jatoba selfbow with static tips today for the bow swap. I thought that ****** would really like something in an exotic wood. It was hard to come to terms with giving this bow away but I managed, since I figured it'd be loved by it's soon to be owner. Had intended the bow to be in the 50# range and 62" long. That is until it exploded in my hands as I brought it to full draw for the first time.
This bow was a looker, so it killed me to watch it explode. And explode is the only word I can use, it was instantaneous, no warning, just jagged pointy splinters that are insanely sharp and brittle flying about. This will be the last time I try jatoba as a selfbow - it was just too damn scary to have to check myself for gashes and blood loss. Gimme back that hickory, sweet sweet tension safe hickory.
On the plus side it was looking like it would take almost no set, and had a fantastic look and feel. I dont think it was meant to be and I wonder how it would have coped with a cut to center shelf as I had intended.
Here are the pics for your enjoyment ... I doubt I'll be the first one done with my swap bow but I think this makes me the first this year to blow one up. Better luck to everyone else.

I'll be starting tillering on a 54" hickory flatbow in a style somewhere between the modern and the traditional with a built up handle but probably simple pin nocks. Mild reflex/deflex profile, and a mild cutaway into the riser. Shooting for about 0-1" of resting reflex after shoot in.
The more bows I build the more I fall in love with hand cut and split staves. Theres just something fascinating about bringing the whole thing full circle. Hopefully this flatbow pans out, otherwise I'm down to only two more backups, a heat treated hickory ELB of ~72" nearly finished, and a sinew backed ERC which is my first sinew bow and I'm nervous to give away due to potential for failure.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: January 11, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
There go's the first one    :scared:  

Take your time you got six months    :D

My first one that ever blew up did it at full draw. After I got over it I look back from time to time and remember the adrenaline rush and think it was pretty spectacular. I don't want to blow up any more but it sure is a sight when one goes BOOM!
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: January 11, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
Well put sticks. It'll put hair on your chest thats for sure. But yes I think I'll take the next one slower! I actually felled the hickory tree and have several bows from it now so it's much nearer to my heart and will get special care.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©