Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)  (Read 46632 times)

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)
« Reply #1400 on: March 02, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »
Ralph, that would be a crime.  I picked up a few blocks at my local Woodcraft store for tips and such.  Been shooting it a lot and am getting the turkey call tuned in.  Hope to use them both to get a turkey come May.

Thanks everyone for the comments.....Dan

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1401 on: March 02, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
Dan, you will have to send me a picture if you get one. Season opens here April 15 and I have never got a turkey with a bow. So if everything goes well I will be the first person to get a turkey with my bow and you will be the second... but I will be just as happy if you are the first.
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1402 on: March 02, 2012, 06:13:00 PM »
Ralph, it will be a first for me too, came real close last year.  Good Luck!!...Dan

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1403 on: March 03, 2012, 12:24:00 PM »
It shoots.  :)  
Took the swap bow to the lanes yesterday and shot it quite a bit. Now I feel relieved.
 Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1404 on: March 03, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
Cool Pete  :)

:thumbsup:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1405 on: March 03, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »
Well, I buggered up plan C today. I created a bad hinge 8" from the bottom.  :bigsmyl:  
OH! this addiction!  :help: !!!!
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1406 on: March 03, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
Sorry to hear that Wood Carver, hope you plan "D" works out for you.  So far plan "C" is working for me.  Had a close call when trying to remove a whoop de do just above the fade on the top limb, ended up with a large crack on belly side that ran the entire width of the limb.  Repaired it with Smooth On and seem to be ok.  Put about 100+ arrows through it since the repair, so far so good.....Dan

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1407 on: March 03, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
Don't feel bad Dave my plan X, Y, or Z I can't even remember which one I'm on anymore just popped.  I'm DONE with bamboo.  Had it tillered perfect to 27" or as perfect as my eye could tell anyway and the stinking boo lifted a splinter.  It was gaining 2.14 pounds per inch and by the math it was gonna come in four pounds over draw weight and was pretty happy with that until finishing it and shooting it in.  I'll be backing with something else from now on.  I've got a piece of black glass that I might grind off the boo and glue that on, don't know yet.

Offline 1025 vs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1408 on: March 03, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
I've been having my ups and downs too, mostly downs. After several failures due to bad hickory backings and or bad glue jobs, I got some urac and cut backings from a different piece of hickory. I now have 2 bows glued up and 2 more ready to be glued. My new plan is hickory backed cherry longbow or hickory backed zebrawood longbow. I think I'm due for some good bows now.    Rob
Don't know how I got here and don't know where i'm going, but life is grand.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1409 on: March 03, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
Thanks for the sympathy.  :)  I'm glad you were able to save your bow Dan. Plan D needs only a little work before glue up and I'm brainstorming plan E tonight. I hope It's warm enough to get some work done tomorrow.
Dave.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1410 on: March 04, 2012, 08:43:00 AM »
Hopefully you Canadians keep your luck north of the border!  I'm going to work on a few back up plans today, and if it gets warm enough, I'm going to heat in the rest of the reflex into *******'s bow.

You guys having trouble havent been posting many pics along the way.  Maybe we can help you all out some.  You guys having that many attempts makes me feel lazy because I haven't even finished my first plan.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1411 on: March 04, 2012, 10:36:00 AM »
Its too depressing to post pics. lol  As far as the north of the border goes your screewed DVSHUNTER cause where I'm at puts you right in the middle I hope you don't get caught up in the bad luck crossfire.

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1412 on: March 04, 2012, 11:47:00 AM »
Decided to do a cherry bark backing on my trade bow, got one limb done yesterday and the other this morning.  Had a few problems with the splice on the one this morning, will see what she looks like when I remove the wrappings....Dan

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1413 on: March 04, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »
Hey DVS, I'll soon be heading south of the border to kill a couple of those big Ohio toms.  :bigsmyl:  
I'll try and keep the bad part of my luck in the Great White North.
Dave.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1414 on: March 04, 2012, 03:02:00 PM »
Dan cherry bark is awesome looking from the pics I have seen ***** is in for a treat that is for sure.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1415 on: March 04, 2012, 06:00:00 PM »
Not so glad to hear that I'm in such good company with problems surrounding my trade bow. Hope you all start having better luck than I'm having.
I keep making dumb mistakes due to a lack of concentration. Thinking about ordering new material and starting from scratch. Maybe fumicate to get rid of the wood gremlins, or something!  :smileystooges:

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1416 on: March 04, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
Kelly, just unwrapped the 2nd limb and it has a few issues at the splice, but I think I can make it work.  Will probably wrap with silk at the splice anyway.  Once I get her all trimmed and cleaned up, I'll post some pics....Dan

Offline 1025 vs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1417 on: March 05, 2012, 01:12:00 AM »
DVS - I'm not having bad luck, just not checking out the wood I buy well enough etc. In other words, bad thinking, not bad luck. I've done this sort of thing before, deciding to try an imperfect board because good hardwoods are so hard to come by here. I've also promised myself not to do that again (some promises are made to be broken it seems). I'm finished kicking my butt now, and back to work.   Rob

Offline 1025 vs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1418 on: March 05, 2012, 07:57:00 PM »
Well I got started working on a hickory backed zebrawood longbow today. Got one limb almost floor tillered and decided to take a break because I was losing my focus. It's starting out with 2" of glued in reflex, so I hope to have an inch or so left when it's finished. Should be really pretty when it's done, that grain really stands out.    Rob

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1419 on: March 05, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
I am right in the middle of everyone.  I might have given it out though.  Before the swap I had a streak where I had to abandon three bows because of problems.  I cleaned out the shop, burned the shavings and all the bad parts of the broken bows, appeseased the bow gods and kept on building.  :campfire:
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©