Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)  (Read 46724 times)

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)
« Reply #1560 on: March 15, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
Well i am in fl and we went to gatorland around lunch an i kept looking at the bamboo and thinking it looked about right for arrows.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1561 on: March 15, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
Been checking the swap and everybody has been creating some great looking bows; I'd be ecstatic to receive anyone of them!

I have started eight bows this season and have two ready for the spray booth.  One, intended for the trade, was an experimental two piece takedown using the Black Widow / Big Jim method....it was........uhm......a learning experience.  Let’s just say there was once a really nice looking one piece bow that is, after having been cut into two pieces, once again a one piece bow with a black grip; that isn't quite as pretty.....yet.  The other one is a snaky, copperhead skinned, selfbow that is headed to Portland next week as a donation for the PBS Banquet.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1562 on: March 16, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
After putting another 25 arrows through my trade bow I checked the weight again, a little came back, but not enough.  Started on the belly lams, have one limb ready for glue up.  Going to try to glue a little reflex back into it.  We'll see how it goes.....Dan

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1563 on: March 16, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
Good luck Dan I hope it works out for ya and it brings the weight up.  

I haven't had time to get any pictures up yet the smallmouth seen to be hitting hard here so besides work that seems to be taking up a lot of my time.  Time well spent too.  Great looking bows everybody.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1564 on: March 16, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
Nice looking bow, Trux. Like the different woods.

Now have my trade bow tillered out to 24". I shot a couple dozen arrows through it in between scrapings. The handle isn't shaped yet so it isn't comfortable in the hand. I'll have all of next week out of school for spring break so hopefully the trade bow will get finished up.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1565 on: March 16, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
WOW! just came in from a 15 hour shift at work and there was a long skinny tube sitting on my dining room table, with my ten year old son sitting beside it drueling! Wife said he had been trying to convince her he needed to open it since he came in from school!

Any way there was a amazing duel shelfed recurved selfbow inside!  It's Hackberry I believe!

Theres pictures on page 99 but they don't do her justice!
Thanks Paul! Your craftsman ship is jaw dropping! This thing is just amazing, I will be shooting "shadow" at sunrise tomorrow and I have a feeling she's gonna get a ton of treestand time this fall!

Delivery was Perfectly timed as well as I have the next three days off and our first 3-D shoot of the year is Sunday!

I wil get some pictures up this weekend!

Once again thank you!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline 1025 vs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1566 on: March 16, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
I have my bow within 1" of the intended draw length and everything seems to be going as planned. I shot 50 arrows through her today and she's not the fastest bow I ever built but definitely enough to put down any animal on this continent. It has a little bit of hand shock too, but I understand that's normal with ELB designs. I've made 2 others and found that once I got the handle filled in to fit the hand, the shock diappears. I got a lesson on how to post pictures but I seem to have forgotten a step. Once I get retrained, I'll post som pics.   Rob
Don't know how I got here and don't know where i'm going, but life is grand.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1567 on: March 17, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »
Sweet Trux !!!

Congrats Dennis!!! Very nice curve Paul, very nice ...  I really like the bit of bark on the back     :)

Gettin busy around here again!!!  

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1568 on: March 17, 2012, 01:43:00 PM »
Dennis, glad it got there in good shape, you're very welcome. Happy hunting    :archer2:  

Kip, the look on the back of the bow was done by staining then sanding lightly and staining again. The valleys held the first stain coat well & the high spots show up lighter after the second stain coat due to sanding. It does have that cambium look though.

This bow was built for hunting from conception to completion, I'm very happy it is at a good home with a fellow hunter.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1569 on: March 17, 2012, 04:29:00 PM »
Well it came out great!!!
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1570 on: March 18, 2012, 03:45:00 AM »
Sport I hope Dennis bags one of them monster Illinois bucks this fall with that beauty.

I need to get out cut me some hackberry and get her dried, Fantastic bow wood in my opinion.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1571 on: March 18, 2012, 11:09:00 PM »
I took my swap bow to out local 3d shoot today to shoot it in some more.  I'm pretty pleased with it.  Its 61" ttt.  Its a boo backed trilam with ipe core and osage belly with osage powerlam under between the boo and ipe, the riser is cocobolo with two strips of osage.  The tips are polished deer antler with thin cocobolo underlays. I'm not going to give the draw weight. I really really hope ********* likes it.  Here are some pics.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1572 on: March 18, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
wow!!! that really is beautiful- excellent work sir!!

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1573 on: March 18, 2012, 11:14:00 PM »
I forgot and canted the bow a little in the full draw pic thats why the bottom looks so much shorter, sorry.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1574 on: March 18, 2012, 11:15:00 PM »
Thanks fujimo I appreciate it.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1575 on: March 18, 2012, 11:21:00 PM »
That turned out great David, very nice finishing touches. All the detail work looks top notch.

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1576 on: March 18, 2012, 11:22:00 PM »
Wow that's a beauty D!!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1577 on: March 18, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
Very nice bow, D and beautiful full draw tiller. No wonder it shoots so well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1578 on: March 18, 2012, 11:49:00 PM »
Beautiful bow D!

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1579 on: March 18, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »
Wow, that is a sweet looking bow and  very nice tiller
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©