Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)  (Read 45815 times)

Offline dmikeyj

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)
« Reply #180 on: January 12, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »
Thomas, in photobucket, when you are in the folder of the pics you want to post here, hover over the pic you want, and 4 boxes will pop up at the bottom of the pic you are hovering over.  I use the bottom box, it links a thumbnail small enough to keep the loading times here within reason.  The thumbnail you link will be clickable to get to the full size pic on photobucket.
I keep my photobucket full size so details can be seen vs. sizing everything to 640 width(you do lose detail at 640).
Anyway, click the bottom box, it will confirm the link is copied, then just come here and right click and paste it.

Steve- you could always run the nocks deeper on the sides of the bow limbs to keep that string from popping out, think of it like a pin nock with a shallow back nock in the stone.  All you may have to do there is make the notches in those arrowheads a bit deeper towards centerline.  Those would make real cool nocks...
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
I love fools' experiments. I am always making them.

Offline wildcat hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: January 12, 2012, 06:21:00 PM »

My first time posting pictures, thanks for the help dmikeyj. Being retired I worked on this straight since I got XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX's name. 50lbs, 69in, Osage. I almost want to keep it for myself.

Offline wildcat hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #182 on: January 12, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, did something wrong posting pictures?

Offline dmikeyj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #183 on: January 12, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »

You did fine except for an extra [I (at the end of the link).  Above is the same without those two extra symbols.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Offline dmikeyj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #184 on: January 12, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
Oh yeah, that is wildcat hunter's pic^^

Thomas- is that snakeskin backed?  What kind of snake?

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #185 on: January 12, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
Im working on three right now for the swap. I got to rough out two extras today.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline wildcat hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: January 12, 2012, 07:31:00 PM »
Snake skin - not exactly, I think you would call it Faux snake skin, Python. But it looks good.

Offline wildcat hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #187 on: January 12, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »
g[/IMG]
 Here are the other 3, what must I do to post the picture?

Offline wildcat hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #188 on: January 12, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: January 12, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
I got some  sawdust and chips today. The bow is roughed out, after a bit of a stand off between the bandsaw and the Hop Hornbeam stave. That stuff is tough.
 I started some reducing to the lines with a plane, but that didn't last long before the trusty Ferriers rasp came out.  :)  
 Now we are making progress and almost ready to floor tiller it.

Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: January 12, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
Looking good wildcat! Where did you get false python skins?

Pete, i was gifted a rasp like that about a year ago and it os one of my favorite tools.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline wildcat hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #191 on: January 12, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »
Its material, got it on a "bidding website". Am I allowed to say the site?

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: January 12, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
Nope, but i got ya.

Offline Cuban Missile

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #193 on: January 12, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
Is it just a cloth?
Javier

Offline wildcat hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #194 on: January 12, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
Yes

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #195 on: January 12, 2012, 11:21:00 PM »
Very nice Wildcat. Great tiller
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #196 on: January 12, 2012, 11:59:00 PM »
Wildcat, great looking bow! Didn't realize those faux skins would look so nice!

I'm far from retired, but I just cut out sleep to work on the trade bow!
Here are some pictures of where I'm at. The bow is a hickory selfbow from a stave I cut and split. 54" tip to tip. Basically roughed out including the laminated on riser of tiger maple. Shooting for 50#. I think I need to dry the bow a little more before I tiller. I think it'll get recurved tips soon though. Maybe this weekend. Pretty sure I need a little recurve to hit my target draw length on such a short bow.
Riser is very simple, but slightly assymetric with a right hand palm swell. Still trying to figure out what kind of shelf I'm going to make. probably built up leather soaked in CA glue, and probably under suede leather, but I really hate to cover that maple too much.  
*** will be very happy with the character in this stave I think.

Glue lines definately arent my best. It was tough to get a good flat surface for gluing. Didnt have a ton of wood to mess around with. Hoping the copious amount of stain which I'm planning on using helps to hide that glue line a bit. Used TBIII so the slight gap was filled with saw dust and CA glue (my medium ever since I gave up epoxy). It's definately not structurally compromised. I'll have to finish it up soon incase I'm not happy enough with it to send it out.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #197 on: January 13, 2012, 12:16:00 AM »
Great looking bows, I hope to have an update on my buy Monday.

Those stone tips would be awesome. I think as long as the side groves are deep it would be plenty. I mean on a self bow you don't file into the back it is just the sides that hold the sting.

Great effort out of the gates.

Offline wildcat hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #198 on: January 13, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
Thanks for the nice comments! After breaking 11 ( eleven ) board bows, I learned about the "gizmo" on here - haven't broken another one since! I have to give my wife some credit ( she did the baseball stitching on the grip ), she also says I'm lucky the string doesn't hit my nose! Is it that big?

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #199 on: January 13, 2012, 12:04:00 PM »
I got a nice hackberry stave picked out for *****'s future bow!

I roughed several of them out back in September and this is my favorite! This is a first try with hackberry for me so will see what happens. I got to get a caul built here soon so I can get this one lined out a bit more and flip the tips abit.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©