Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)  (Read 46390 times)

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)
« Reply #2380 on: June 08, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »
BS!

Offline John Lipinski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2381 on: June 08, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by red hill:
Love that workbench, John! Ha!Ha!Ha!   :D  
oh trust me, if I keep that thing where it is now, i won't be around to make it to the end of the swap. My mother would have something to do with it. Anyway, I'm picking up a band saw tomorrow, so this weekend will be filled with this project. Feels good  to finally be able to work on things like this again

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2382 on: June 08, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »
I understand, John. My wife must know your mom...

Stiks, it isn't in the sock drawer. Check the underwear drawer, man!

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2383 on: June 08, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stiks-n-Strings:
You guys ain't gonna believe this! I lost my string, bow is done but I've looked all through my sock drawer and just can't seem to find it.    :dunno:  
Can anyone say deja vu?

Good one Stiks!
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2384 on: June 08, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
Looking good guys. I wonder what Hova's new screen name is?

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2385 on: June 08, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »
I leave my strings (all my gear for that matter) scattered around the apartment that way they can't get lost in the dock drawer.

Offline dmikeyj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2386 on: June 08, 2012, 11:42:00 PM »
Too funny Sticks.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
I love fools' experiments. I am always making them.

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2387 on: June 09, 2012, 12:39:00 AM »
chris  i rember that quote from last year a dozen time ya think just maybe hova stole it lmao  brock
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2388 on: June 09, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
Well, at least he was good for a laugh.  I have a feeling his name will be popping up for years to come.  Maybe someday he'll even find the batteries in his wife's underwear drawer....

Started on Plan C.  Or is it A?  Back in January I posted a locust stave I had roughed out and set to dry in the living room near the fireplace.  So, that was originally plan A.  But then I decided to use some two year old hickory.  That became the new plan A, or maybe plan B depending on how you count.  I figured plan C was BBI like I did last year.  Well, plan A (or was it B?) was moving along nicely, but came in too light.  I tried to pike it, but still couldn't quite make weight and it was starting to take a set.

Well, I had the split from that same hickory stave staring at me.  Was a bit thin and I wasn't sure about a few parts of it.  But I decided to give it a whirl.  New plan B.  Or maybe plan D?  That progressed along quickly, but I realized I just couldn't get the width I needed out of it to make weight without a lot of set.

Ok, briefly going back to plan C (or plan A, or A prime, or maybe we give it a whole new letter and call it E?)  I seriously considered adding sinew to the first hickory stick.  That should help.  But it seems that with hickory it should be adding something to the belly instead.  Scrap that (for now.)  Back to the real plan A, also known now as plan F.  As in, "This better F'ing work!"  The locust stave came out to the bench.

My hesitation with black locust is that I've only worked hickory staves up until now.  I heard BL can be touchy and fret if you're not careful.  And I tend to get in a hurry.  Last night I chased my first ring.  That was interesting, but I lucked out and made it successfully from one end to the other without damaging anything.  I really like working BL.  It also feels solid and indestructible.  The thing has a lot of natural reflex (almost 2 inches), but also a lot of twist -- maybe 25 degrees per limb.  So I brought it to where it was starting to flex a little and then put the heat to it this morning:

I'll let it cool and then try the other end.  I figure if I can get it straight this weekend, I can let it rehydrate during the week and I have two full days next weekend to try to get it knocked out (carefully.)  Wish me luck...
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2389 on: June 09, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
Gettin dizzy A,B,C,D A prime!!!

What ever plan it is looks good  :)
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2390 on: June 09, 2012, 01:28:00 PM »
Don't forget F!  It's the most important.    :readit:

Here she is on the long string starting to flex at about 45#.  Hey, no set yet!

I think this is where I'll leave it for awhile.  I'd like to get it on a shorter string so I can check alignment, but I'm trying to learn to slow down.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2391 on: June 09, 2012, 01:52:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2392 on: June 09, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
I hope plan A or F or whatever works out for you so I don't get a headache as you try to explain the next one!

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2393 on: June 09, 2012, 07:42:00 PM »
Took some pics and packed up my trade bow. Will ship on Monday. Here are some pics.

Osage backed with Rawhide thickness snake skins. 45@29 and 58in. NTN. Cocabolo nock overlays and a scivved Händel made from deer hide I traded off some old foot in PA. I'm not naming names, but R*y has some nice hides. :-)
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline WestTexan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2394 on: June 09, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
Slick lookin bow Dvs.... I hope to get a string and do some bending about Monday evening on these.

They are still a little beefy but gotta see where I'm at. Camera pics so I'm not sure how they are going to look.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2395 on: June 09, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »

That's all i took. I had a blast this year, now I get to kick back and watch.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline WestTexan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2396 on: June 09, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
Camera on my phone lol....

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2397 on: June 09, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
Nice bow DVS!  I'm sure it will be appreciated in it's new home.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2398 on: June 09, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
Very nice bow DVS.  I like the skins.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2399 on: June 09, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
Finally got her finished up gonclo alves and zebrawood riser aboo core and brown glass 58"  Should ship early part of next week.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©