Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)  (Read 46296 times)

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)
« Reply #2560 on: June 22, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »
i guess im calm enough to post my progress.i have worked on this bow , hard , for the past 3 days. i got my rade bow to 5" brace height ive been exercising the limbs like crazy got it to 18" draw i went to check the early draw weight by handto 18" draw and this . i have been paying attention to how the belly looks so the tiller didnt have a twist. i also made sure the belly was flat, like all white woods like to be. when it let go , it busted my wrist open pretty good. i went inside the house and looked at my wife , she knew something bad happened, by the look on my face.i dont trust my hickory stash anymore. im working on another plan. rv
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2561 on: June 22, 2012, 05:05:00 PM »
Don't let it get you down Tooth...S*#T Happens   :banghead:

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2562 on: June 22, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »
Sorry to see that broketooth. Maybe some bad hickory? That sure doesn't look like it should have broken at 18.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2563 on: June 22, 2012, 06:42:00 PM »
That was I'm staring wonder Ruddy, if maybe you just ain't got some bad wood.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2564 on: June 22, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
That bow failed in tension and healthy hickory doesn't break like that. It must be a bad batch of hickory.
  Ruddy, you and Kris are gonna have to stop communicating. I think it is contegious!  d;^)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2565 on: June 22, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
Like Dave said, Rudy, stuff happens. Hope you weren't hurt badly.

Offline longbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2566 on: June 22, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
My wife mailed my trade bow out yesterday. According to tracking it should be delivered Sat sometime.

David

Kelly sending you the tracking number.

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2567 on: June 22, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »
Sorry to hear that Rudy, I cut some hickory a few years ago that I had similar problems with.  The tree looked healthy, but everything I made out of it blew up similar to yours.  I feel your pain.  You gotta get back on the horse and keep on keepin on......Dan

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2568 on: June 22, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »
Sorry to see your bow break Rudy, you had it bending good too. Good luck with your next one. Maybe you should back the next bow with something for extra insurance...hate to see a guy trying so hard and not getting results.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2569 on: June 22, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
I feel for you Broketooth, almost makes me ill all that work and then to have it break.  You wood bow guy's determination is admirable.  Hope your next hundred turn out great.

My swap bow arrived at its new home on Monday, but no word.  Kinda concerned hopefully it is in the proper hands, one never knows with UPS.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2570 on: June 22, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
Jeez I'm away from the computer for a couple of days and there three new pages.  I like all the progress.  Good looking stuff too.  Sorry to hear about the breaks though.

Offline kevin_h

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2571 on: June 22, 2012, 11:07:00 PM »
I had a bamboo backed osage bow blow up..turned out to be a rotten section in the bamboo. Couldn't see it until after the blow out.. Scared the crap out of me..

Even the best looking materials sometimes have hidden flaws..
Kevinh_ak
Alaska teacher..

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2572 on: June 22, 2012, 11:59:00 PM »
Walt great looking bow. Ruddy sorry to hear about it. It was looking really good. I wonder if you can just decrown the next and back it like suggested with some hickory backing.

I am tracking 6 in the mail well 5 if Jess' made it to the right home.

Offline JGL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2573 on: June 23, 2012, 12:44:00 AM »
finished bow today will have picks early morning now  want to make myself one just like it my favorite one so far

Offline kevin_h

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2574 on: June 23, 2012, 12:53:00 AM »
6 in the mail...sounds like a good start. Now that fishing has been shut down in Alaska, I have something else to wait for..
Kevinh_ak
Alaska teacher..

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2575 on: June 23, 2012, 06:16:00 AM »
i talked to several of the fellas here on tg, via the phone. the general consensus is, i got a hold of some bad hickory. i talked to Batman, he also has some of the hickory. i told him of my failures with this batch, he said he was gonna check his with a moisture meter. he also told me about some of the hickory bows he has built in the past, bad hinges , severe set, they have shot like crap but have never exploded like what has happened to me. we both agreed that the hickory i have left should be saved for the fire pit, oh well. i did learn alot from this, even though i didnt make a shooter. rv

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2576 on: June 23, 2012, 06:36:00 AM »
Thanks again Walt. I figured you would like the skins.  I don't have to many python skins left, but i knew you'd appreciate those. I think they are called dumerlis, but I could be wrong.  The only trick to those handle wraps is getting the right leather. I think they are easier than stitching on account of my poor sewing skills.

Definitely poor luck ruddy. Don't give up yet!
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2577 on: June 23, 2012, 07:57:00 AM »
by the way, i just wanted to mention that i have seen so of the most fantastic looking bows this year.everyone who has participated has done some outstanding work. congratulations to everyone. i also applaud stiks and kelly for officiating another great bow swap. thanks fellas. rv

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2578 on: June 23, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
Congratulations Walt....   Well done DV!!! Great bow  :)

Quote...."by the way, i just wanted to mention that i have seen so of the most fantastic looking bows this year.everyone who has participated has done some outstanding work. congratulations to everyone. i also applaud stiks and kelly for officiating another great bow swap. thanks fellas. rv"

X2
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2579 on: June 23, 2012, 02:28:00 PM »
I got back from a 2 week vacation at 2:00 am this morning.  This was waiting for me.  Despite driving 16 hours and being totally wiped out, I couldn't resist putting it together.

This is from Jess Stuart and is absolutely perfect.  Thanks bud!
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©