Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)  (Read 46248 times)

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)
« Reply #2660 on: June 30, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »
I've used super glue, both gel and thin, TBIII or 2ton epoxy, all with good results.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2661 on: June 30, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »
I just got my bow made by JT walsh and it is a nice bow. I like the wood choose. I havent got to shoot it yet or take pics. I worked all night because we in ohio had a bad storm. I am almost done with my build so please be patient xxxxxx.

Offline mater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2662 on: June 30, 2012, 12:48:00 PM »
choice not choose   up all night sorry

Offline longbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2663 on: June 30, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »
My wife called me at work today and said the mail lady just pulled up in the yard and honked the horn.

YEEEE HAWWWW!!!!!

Got it out of the tube and sweet a BBI.I strung it up and put about 50 arrows thru it.
It shoots better than I do.

THANKS Jake You did good sir!

David
I'll try to get some pics up before the weekend is over.

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2664 on: June 30, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
David I hope she serves you well. I did go out and shoot mine just a mine just a min ago and she is nice im gonna make a plains quiver next so I can hunt with her this year I didnt get any pics but ill try too soon

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2665 on: June 30, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
I got my bow shipped out this morning.  If you draw less than 150# @ 31" and live in the northern hemisphere, you have a chance of it showing up on your doorstep next week.  :)   No pictures, as it's been one heck of a ride getting moved into our new home.  Hopefully the new owner will post some pictures.
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2666 on: June 30, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
Boswell, if the antler you are putting on the tip is pourous you may have to put some super glue on it first and let it soak it up and dry.  Sand it a little and then glue it up.  Like Pat, I have used super glue and tight bond with no failures.  I like super glue because its faster.

Great looking bows guys.

Offline Boswell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2667 on: June 30, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
Ok, Some one tell me what I am doing wrong.
I scrubed the wood with a wet paper towel and dawn soap then wiped it off with a wet paper towel and let it dry. I took my antler over lay and sanded the back and soaked in superglue (gel) and let it dry then used super glue gel to attach the antler to the osage, let dry for about 9 hours. Then try to string the bow and the dadburn antler popped off. IDEAS?!?!?!

Thanks
Boswell

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2668 on: June 30, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
Humm.  That should have done the trick.  May try some smooth on epoxy.  That stuff will glue bout anything.

Also, may not be what you want to do, but might try adding some phenolic or a piece of clear glass between the wood and the antler.

Offline WestTexan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2669 on: June 30, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
Got some skin on mine today and just got it cleaned up some.

Road kill bull snake.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2670 on: June 30, 2012, 11:06:00 PM »
Pics please Boswell. Did both surfaces mate well? If both surfaces are flat and mated well they should stick well. Look at the dried glue on both surfaces and see where it did not adhere.
 Nice touch on the tips with the skins Texan.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 1025 vs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2671 on: July 01, 2012, 12:17:00 AM »
Finally! I got a notice today that there's a package for me at the post office. Of course, it's a long weekend and there's no one there until Tuesday.
    I don't know if it's from this swap or the PA one, but either will be fine. I have to say they all look good on both swaps.   Rob
Don't know how I got here and don't know where i'm going, but life is grand.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2672 on: July 01, 2012, 10:22:00 AM »
Boswell the only thing I different is I use the thin superglue to put on the antler to let it soak in and fill the pores.  Then I glue mine on with gorilla superglue.  I'm not for sure if the gel with run in the pores, but I've never tried it with the gel either.  Just a thought hope you get it figured out.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2673 on: July 01, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »
All I use for tip overlays is Smooth On, never had a failure, and the smooth on sands into a nice smooth feathered edge.

Offline Boswell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2674 on: July 01, 2012, 06:58:00 PM »
Ok, After my back nock came off last night I sanded everything smooth and tried it again the way AND....
got the same result. After 8 hours I attempted to string it, It held for a brief time (8 secs or so) before breaking lose. I have attached a picture. I did the top limb the same way, and so far it has held. What can I get from lowes or some where close that WILL work?

Thanks
Boswell

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2675 on: July 01, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
I've used Loctite 2 part epoxy with good results.  It's available at Lowe's.....Dan

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2676 on: July 01, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »
Well I leave for a weekend and Man it is almost to much for me keep up with but I think I got it sorted out. 3 bows in the mail 48 bows received so we are over 50% done. I will post who I am tracking as not shipped sometime tomorrow.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2677 on: July 01, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
Ok here is where the till was at.

Now I have heated treated the bell and add a little bit reflex in the a last 3rd. My hope is that tempering the belly and the better tiller will stop the set from getting worse and the reflex will add weight and snap.

Only time will tell.

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2678 on: July 01, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »
Boswell, did you use the same glue in each attempt?It looks like some of the glue stayed on the antler and some stuck to the wood.That makes me wonder if your glue is the problem.Ive used superglue gell and it worked well.For what its worth I also soak my antler in thin first.You might try a two part epoxy such as devicon 5 minuit(you can get it at Low..,W-mart ect...).The most important thing is to make sure both parts match as perfect as you can get them.Wipe both parts clean with rubbing alcohol,Let them dry,then glue with 5 min epoxy.Hope this helps.

Offline WestTexan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2679 on: July 01, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
Gotta grip on mine today... I think I can string it up tomorrow and re check tiller and shoot it some that will be about 60 hours since the skin was added.

If all goes well it'll get some cleanup sealer and headed out the door.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©