Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)  (Read 45894 times)

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)
« Reply #300 on: January 18, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »
Thanks everyone, I didn't put that here to high jack the best thread of the year though! He is still missing but lets keep this thread on track as I don't want to ruin it. I'll let you all know when he shows up.

I unclamped it about 3:00 this morning, it looks to be holding its shape pretty well.

I did raise a few splinters on the tips, this was my very first attemped at flipping them. The splinters are not deep at all and I don't think they will be an issue. If they become one I can always add an underlay I guess.

Will see what happens, I did go ahead and heat up and clamped down a back up just in case!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #301 on: January 18, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »
Thats a good looking start right there! Just remember Im 45-55#'s @ 28".

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #302 on: January 18, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »
Adeeden, put some super glue in those splinter then sand them smooth. You will hardly know they are there.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #303 on: January 18, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »
Pat I think they will be gone after floor tillering. should I glue them before floor tillering or just work through them?

Offline H8nonCubs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #304 on: January 18, 2012, 05:34:00 PM »
If youve got plenty of wood no worries. At the same token super glue is a cheap route to peace of mind even if you end up workin it all the way out. Good luck
"I never make the same mistake twice, i make it three or four times. You know just to make sure."

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #305 on: January 18, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »
Yep, what he said. At 25 cents a tube, i would splurge.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #306 on: January 18, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »
I went ahead and soaked them down with super glue. I'm pretty confident I will be well below them but as mentioned for the price it's cheap insurance!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #307 on: January 18, 2012, 11:42:00 PM »
As you scrape away it is nice to see those small glue lines disappear. Why take the chance though when you are putting all the work into bringing this piece of wood to life. I put super glue in all knots, back and belly, and all checks and cracks, just in case!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #308 on: January 19, 2012, 12:01:00 AM »
I haven't fliped tips yet, that looks real good  :)
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #309 on: January 19, 2012, 01:24:00 AM »
Been away from the computer for a couple of days, man! Ya'll have got it goin' on! I haven't started yet but it won't be long now. Does everyone have my address? If not I can send it out... Just sayin'.  :bigsmyl:  

Adeeden, I just read through you posts. Hope everything works out for the best. I work with a lot of kids that age and have an understanding of what your family must be going through. Hang strong, bro. Prayers.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #310 on: January 19, 2012, 06:20:00 AM »
I got half my trade bow double dipped now. Tonite I will do my firt dip on my last half! Its REALLY looking sweet now. Hope my recip. is happy with her.

Offline Nim-rod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #311 on: January 19, 2012, 07:09:00 AM »
I got the initial tiller all done on my hickory stone tipped bow. As soon as I get my heat gun back from my neighbor (pipes froze) I can heat treat the belly. Hopefully I'll be adding the finishing touches this weekend!
Proud to be "regressing"

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #312 on: January 19, 2012, 10:30:00 AM »
I've got mine tillered to 20" so far, with little if any set.  Bow is mulberry, 61" NTN.  Since it is so short and has several pin knots i"m thinking I should back it.  Was wondering if linen is a suitable backing material for some added insurance.  Looking to get it around 50# @ 28".  What do ya'll think?????Dan

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #313 on: January 19, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
Dan, linen, silk or rawhide. Any one will work.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #314 on: January 19, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »
Thanks, Pat.  I have the linen on hand so I'll go with that.  Should I back it now or tiller it out a little farther?????Dan

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #315 on: January 19, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
Well I worked on my swap bow today tweeked on the tiller a little and shot it some. She's settling pretty good. I think I'll hit on the first try this year    :D

Also put some diamond back watersnake skins on her. and decide to do a little skin along.

First I cleaned up the edges of the limbs from sinewing. I use a single cut bastard file to do this and only go from back to belly at a bit of angle. This cleans her up real nice.

After I get everything cleaned up good I'm ready to skin. I use Titebond 3 and use it liberally.

While I'm getting the glue on and getting it ready to skin I have the skins soaking in warm water.

when I get the glue on I take the skins and pat them dry with paper towels. You don't want them soaked, just damp.

After I pat them dry I lay it on the limb and get the pattern centered. I use my thumb to work out the air bubbles and wrinkles and excess glue. Kinda just roll my thumb like giving a finger print (Don't ask LOL)

Then I trim some of the skin with a razor. Not all the way to limb, I leave about a quarter inch hangin over the sides and will clean that up when they dry. This is not completely necessary but I like to do it to make sure I get my skin down on the edges real good.

That's about all there is to it. Tomorrow I will get some pics of cleaning up the edges real nice.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #316 on: January 19, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »
That bugger looks bullet proof Kris! Nice looking pattern on those skins as well. I like the darker colored skins.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #317 on: January 19, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
I hope so Pearl. The sinew didn't put alot reflex in it but it held some. It had already taken about an 1.75" of set and the sinew brought it back to about 1" and made her real snappy.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #318 on: January 19, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
Looks good Sticks, thanks for the skin along.

Offline Nim-rod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #319 on: January 19, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
Nice bow sticks! Skin to Win!
Proud to be "regressing"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©