Author Topic: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)  (Read 46101 times)

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: TG BOW SWAP 2012 (pics and post)
« Reply #3040 on: August 07, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »
Just back from the post office.  Received a bow and sent a bow in less than 24 hours.

Kelly and Sticks -- I sent both of you the delivery confirmation number.  Thanks for all your hard work.

-Dave
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3041 on: August 07, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »
I can officially blame this thread for making me look at bows too often, pushing me to make the best bow I've made to date and even caused me to buy a few used bows I just happen to come across while waiting on bows.

Also I know the mailman arrives at either 10:30 or 12:30 depending on the mailman on duty and no they haven't brought me a bow .....yet...

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3042 on: August 07, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
When I got home from work today I stopped at the mailbox, as I always do. It was empty! That means one of two things, either I didn't get any bills and junk mail(NOT!) or a package too big for the mailbox. When I drove up to the house my wife was on the porch checking a handful of bills and junk mail. I asked if there was a PVC tube too and she said yes.
 On opening the tube(it was very well sealed)I found a beautiful osage bow from Steven Russell. Like I said, the bow is osage, 64"t/t, 63"n/n, pulling 46#@26" with a nice stained center 1/3, handle area faded out to beautiful dark osage limbs with horn(bison?) tip overlays and a textured leather handle wrap with a floppy rest, my favorite arrow rest!
  I haven't had a chance to shoot her but I immediately braced her. Her brace tiller looked great and she draws sweet. It will probably be this weekend before I can get full draw and other pic or even shoot her but when I do I will add pics here.
  Thank you Steven. I love my new bow and she will have a place of honor in my collection. That doesn't mean she won't get shot. Believe me, she will. I shoot all my bows and she will be perfect for my aging bones and joints on a long day of 3D shooting and on a cold, frosty morning hunt.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3043 on: August 07, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
Well congrats to the canopy and pat.

but I am tracking 11 bows in the mail as of today.

We are 75% complete with 65 bows received and only 20 folks awaiting, So there is just a bit better then a 50/50 chance that you will get a bow very soon.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3044 on: August 07, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
Those are some good odds there!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3045 on: August 07, 2012, 11:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
I guess they are ok:)
Canopyboy - I gotta agree with Roy.  Well done!!!
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Steven Russell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3046 on: August 08, 2012, 12:48:00 AM »
I'm glad to hear that the bow made it ok Pat.

Let me add a few more details about the bow to what you already posted.  It was made from a great set of sister billets that I've had drying for about 10 years.  The tips are ebony and she's been drawn to 28+ inches quite a bit so she should be just fine at your 26" draw.  I do worry a bit though because almost all the tillering was done on the tree.  I've been dealing with some shoulder issues lately that have made drawing a bow very difficult and so I wasn't able to do most of the final tillering by hand drawing the bow like I normally like to.  Please let me know if the tiller changes when she actually starts getting hand drawn more and I'll do something to make it right.

Again, sorry about how long it took to get this bow to you.  May you shoot her well.

--Steve

Offline dmikeyj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3047 on: August 08, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »
I should be shipping tomorrow, here are a few sneak pics after 3 coats of tru oil:

I had to peel off the shed skin I tried to back over the painted silk with.  I did not have any luck keeping the shed skin tight (it would stretch and tear easily), and the edges came up, might be hard to see in this pic, but the edges here are all peeled up about 1/8":

This is after peeling the skin, and steel wooling most of the tb3 off.  I hope there will be a hint of the scale pattern left when all is said and done:

I hope it will have been worth the wait for *****.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
I love fools' experiments. I am always making them.

Offline Cuban Missile

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3048 on: August 08, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
Those are good odds!
Javier

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3049 on: August 08, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
Sweet bevy O bows David!!! congrats on that sweet shooter from Kevin  :)

Congrats Pat but where's the pics??????
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3050 on: August 08, 2012, 04:04:00 PM »
Pics will come this weekend, Kip.
  Thanks for the update Steven. No problem about the time. I'll let you know if there are any issues with the tiller after I shoot her a while.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3051 on: August 08, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
Better pictures of my trade bow thanks to my wife's artistic skills

He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow, and concealed me in his quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline John Lipinski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3052 on: August 08, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »
kelly, i did receive word from mr. engler that my bow had made it to his house. if you want I can forward a response from his email to yours.

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3053 on: August 08, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
I got my trade bow but dont have a way to post pics.  I have mis placed my camera.  Whew and its a dandy of a board bow.  I will have to take pics with my phone and email to Kelly to post.   Im not savvy enough to post pics on here from my phone.

Thanks another Awesome year.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3054 on: August 08, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
Your a lucky dog Goose, that bow screams refined smooth shooter, very nice.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3055 on: August 08, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
Thanks john shoot me the email.

Dmax thanks Shoot me the pics and I will post them.

so there are 10 still in the mail. so those waiting still have a 50/50% chance to get a bow.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3056 on: August 09, 2012, 02:43:00 AM »
Sweet Goose   :)
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3057 on: August 09, 2012, 06:21:00 AM »
Nice Goose..

Offline inksoup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3058 on: August 09, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »
this is it:

i finally sprayed the finish:

handle

beauty of wood:

i was planning the cover the handle with leader but later on i decided not to. since wood is good looking in my opinion.
what do you think? should i cover it or not?

i am planning to send it tomorrow. but if i can not, it will be monday for sure.

best.
these are not the droids you are looking for.

Offline mwirwicki

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3059 on: August 09, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »
My wife called me at work a bit ago and mentioned that I had a long PVC tube delivered.  Whoopee!  Could hardly stand it, so I decided to leave early.  

I popped the caps and pulled out a bowsock which contained a real cool osage selfbow with flipped tips and overlays.  It is marked 53# at 26" which is right where I like to shoot.  A nice flemish twist string and some fur silencers also as an added bonus.  It is decorated with a super cool paint job that has the colors and pattern resembling turkey tail feathers tips, a black leather grip with a flippy rest (which recently I've seen and been dying to try, myself).

BrianO:  

What a nice bow!  It is raining here and I'm packing the camper for a big shoot, this weekend.  I will post some pics when I return, after the weekend.  I am going to take the bow with me to the shoot, show it off and try her out for certain.

I can't thank you enough, for such a fine piece.

Matt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©