Author Topic: 4th grade bow makers (pics included)  (Read 1015 times)

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
4th grade bow makers (pics included)
« on: January 10, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
I was asked a while back if I would be willing to come to a local grade school and teach 4th graders the art of making a bow (PVC bow build from a traditional bowhunter mag years ago).  There will be 35 students.  The flow will look like an hour each day for three days.

Day 1: History of the bow/Bow definitions
Day 2: Build a bow
Day 3: Shooting the bow

Advice and suggestions I could use would be this (mainly dealing with the history)...

- With a 4th grade mindset what would you think would be pertinent information on history of the bow (stuff I might overlook)?

- I'll have plenty of visual aids but are there any influential pictures that got you excited in bow making that I would be able to use?

- This class will be at a private Christian school and will have a religious theme.  Any Christian themes, thoughts, ideas come from your bow building experiences.  I have my own but I would love to know yours if you have any (religious or not).

This school that I am teaching in will have to okay all tools that I might bring in.  I most likely will keep all sharp objects at home just bringing pictures to keep it simple.  

I hope to have them scrape a bit at some Osage and rasp on some oak at some time throughout the process.  I'm way excited for the opportunity to get involved in the local school system and share a bit of our passion with the next generation.  Thanks for any ideas or thoughts.
He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow, and concealed me in his quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 4th grade bow makers (pics included)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »
As far as religious themes, you could cover the use of bows on both sides of the crusades. Lots of history there.

Scott
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
I know this is not history, but they are 4th graders.  A small excerpt from Lord of the Rings.. Legolas shooting his bow or Narnia (Christian Author) with Susan shooting her bow at practice.  Those always pumped me up even as an adult, so I would imagine they would work for kids.
God gave you hands, use them

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »
I taught hunter safety for about ten years. When I saw a bunch of the kids squirming in their chairs(really bored) I would tell about the recovery of the Mary Rose in the Thames river and the bows, arrows and SKELETONS that were recovered. That always got them on the edge of their seats.

http://www.maryrose.org/visit/tour1.htm

Offline briarjumper12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
Also you could reference some instances of archery in the bible.  I can't remember right now but I onece used a concordance and found the first mention of archery (Bow) in the Bible.  It was in Genesis before the Dispersion at Babylon.
Blessed be the Lord my strength; which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Offline Ninjineer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
It takes faith and diligence to be a good person, just as it does to make a good bow.
"One should never trust internet quotes." -Abraham Lincoln

Offline va

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
Okay - so maybe they won't be ready for great depth but...

One definition for sin is missing the mark - an archery term.
Paul writes that we are to practice our faith - like archery, practice and perfect do not belong in the same sentence BUT practice (meaning daily application) is profitable.

Mostly they want to have some fun.
Making stuff is always cool.
When you break something, laugh it off, and get back to work they will learn more than you can imagine.

va
Poor folk with poor ways, but rich just the same.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
Not sure what your experience is with 4th graders so I will give you some thoughts from my experience working with them.

4th graders are sqirlly little tykes. Make sure you have hands on stuff to do all the time. Give them some history and then something to touch, then back to the information. Mix it up as much as possible.

Check with the school to know the limits that are acceptable to them and go to those limits. Kids at school, whether christian or public, like a guest instructor who will say or do stuff the teachers normally wouldn't; they have to live with the kids every day so they need tighter reins.

The boys will be interested no matter what so get the girls up as much as possible to do demonstrations. The chance of being involved will keep them interested longer.

Good luck and have lots of answers ready for the bazzilion questions you will get. Remember the funnier ones and share them here.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 11:11:00 PM »
Razorbacks advice is excellent.  From my experiences as a youth sports coach, 4th graders will stay on one topic for only about 5-7 minutes.  As soon as you see them getting distracted they are getting bored and you need to move to the next topic.  Alternating discussion with hands-on projects is the most effective way for them to have fun.  If you get to 1 out of 10 kids, you have done a real good job!  Have fun as it is really contagious!

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »
So this Wed-Fri I'll be hanging out with 30-35 4th graders and teachers showing them how to make a bow and the history behind it.  I'm way excited!(private schools don't have many rules so there are things we will be able to do that public schools might frown upon)  

Here's the lineup so far:

Wed: I'll walk through some history of the bow.  (Thanks Eric for the Mary Rose Info) Share with them some styles of bows made out of wood and glass... I might have to bring a bow with training wheels for demonstration purposes(YUCK) Let them see and scrape on a piece of osage and hickory.  Share with them some deer jerky made from a deer killed with the tools they see.  Then walk through how God gives life from death Romans 6:23.  In the same way a bowyer creates a bow out of what others would see as destined for the fire.  I can't think of how many osage trees my grandfather burned being a farmer before I built bows.  

Thurs: We will build some PVC bows and string em up.

Fri: All the kids will shoot the bows and supposedly the newspaper is going to come out and do a segment on the event.  

Thanks for the suggestions and hopefully I'll have some pictures to share afterwards if I don't get stuck full of holes shooting on Friday     :knothead:
He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow, and concealed me in his quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »
I've taught kids archery and the safest place to stand is right in front of the target.    :scared:
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 03:06:00 PM »
Here are the pictures to the three day bow building extravaganza with a bunch of 4th graders.  The closest to the bulls eye won a compass.  Each kid was able to take their bow home with a couple of arrows.  Over all it was a success!

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
The kid that won the compass, his face says it all. Well done sir!    :thumbsup:
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
Very nice Goose, ^ 5

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »
Great job Goose!

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »
Awesome!!!    :clapper:

Offline BigErn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 06:51:00 PM »
Looks like you did a fine job!Congats to
you!If you didn't do this,how many of those kids
would ever be exposed to archery! Great job!
                                Ernie
You can lead a human to knowledge, but you can't make him think!

Offline DGF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
:clapper:  

Looks like you did good! No doubt some of those kids learned lessons in 3 days that they will not learn in the rest of their school education. Kudos!

Dan

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
:clapper:    Good one on you and good for the kids   :clapper:
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
Well done sir! Some of those kids will cherish that day forever.
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©