Author Topic: Brace your-self  (Read 395 times)

Offline Inspector12

• Trad Bowhunter
Brace your-self
« on: January 11, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »
By suggestion I have reposted to this forum:

Finally completed my red oak pryamid bow.  So I build a jig and make my second B50 flemish string to what I thought was the correct length.  I string the bow up, say a prayer and take a shot.  Much to my surprise it shot great.  Very quiet little to no handshock. Second shot is in the bull, too good to be true.  So I take a step back to examine the bow then realize the brace is around 9 1/2 or so inches.  Yikes, I must have miss calculated the length.  So I go back make a new string.  Brace it up and give it go.  Hummmm, not it is percievably louder and I am slapping my wrist.  Ok, easy enough start twisting.... shoot, now more twisting....  So I end up with about 20+ twists in the new string and still slapping my wrist.  So my question is what should I brace this thing at?? The bow is 68" nock to nock and still experiencing wrist slap at 8 1/4.  I do not experience any issue shooting my recurve or training wheel bow that I am retiring. Do longbows differ that much with brace height???

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Brace your-self
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »
Couple of things. Brace heigth should be no more than 6" IMO for that length bow. Did you get the initial stretch out of your string? If not, turn your bow over your knee and press the tips down to take any stretch out. Your brace height will probably go down an inch or two by doing this. If the string still slaps your wrist then your limb design is causing the slapping..........Art

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
I have noticed weak tips will sometimes whack the shooters arm no matter your brace.

Offline Nim-rod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »
I just wear an armguard :-) You may have your wrist rotated too much towards the inside causing this. When I first started shooting selfbows I had more of a problem and I straightened my wrist out each time consiously and after a while it became natural to do that. Immediatly after doing this my groups at 20 yards shrank too.
Proud to be "regressing"

Offline Inspector12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »
Very good points to review and try.  I wondered about the dacron as I know it does stretch.  I will try adjusting my wrist as well.  I hope its not the a limb or tip problem.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
How does the sting lay with your handle? If it is off to the left a bit it is more likely to hit your arm. Get your string centered on your handle and the problem might go away.

The best way to center a string is not by working the limbs on one side but bending the handle slightly at the arrow pass.

I will say an armguard is a necessity for most selfbow shooters.

Offline Inspector12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
I have the handle shaped somewhat like a pistol grip with a shelf cut about a 1/4 from the center of the bow.  I have the brace height set at 6 1/8 at the moment.  The string appears to track in the center of the bow just fine.  I normally do not use an armguard unless I have a jacket on while hunting. I will wear one if it helps however the slap I experience is more forward than my arm guard protects.  It is right where the hand meets the wrist.  It seems that the higher the brace height reduces/eliminates the slap and handshock seems to improve. If I understand correctly most guys shoot a lower brace height to reduce the wear and tear on the limbs.  Is that correct?  I am open to adjust my grip and or wear the armguard, whatever will help is good with me.  Thanks guys

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
Yep, sounds like your limbs, from mid-limb to tips, are a bit limber. When the tips hit home, the outer section of the limbs deform causing them to recoil backwards letting your string travel forward. To prevent this on your next bow, either strengthen this area or flip the limbs from mid-limb to tips. If your bow isn't finished yet, you may still be able to strengthen this area by bending the tips back slightly and heat treating.

A lower brace height allows for a longer power stroke which aids in the performance of this type bow. Too high a brace heigth will cause addition limb set which will rob performance. A happy medium IMO is around 5 1/2" to 6"...Art

Offline Inspector12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
Art,  

That's not what I wanted to hear but it makes sense to me.  This is my first bow and have approached this as a learning experience.  Sounds like a good excuse to start my next bow.  Thanks for the feedback.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©