Author Topic: Winter project #2  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Bert Frelink

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Winter project #2
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
Thanks Pat,
That's what I figured, I build a Hickory bow one time on the Oregon coast came out at about 56"-57# after 6 months in Alberta it was well over 65#.
Great work, keep it going, looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Take care.
Bert.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
Professor Pat again great build along....  living on the west coast this is on my want to do list. How long do you suppose you would have to make one for a 27" draw ? I know that the design was made for very short draws but I am curious?
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 02:27:00 PM »
Kip, I don't know if I will be able to get this one to 26" like I want but I'm gonna try. This is the first of this design I've built. 54" would be twice your draw. Maybe 50" or slightly less but that is strictly a guess.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing Pat.  I saved all my deer leg tendons this year so I can give this a try.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
Just passing it on, Mitch!
  Good luck on your attempt.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline WestTexan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 12:30:00 AM »
Cool as heck Pat...never seen it done but I can see that workin great on a nice Mesquite bow. I plan on cuttin a bunch here in a couple months.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »
Well here I am again with this little bow. Her sinew has been drying since Feb. 15. I took her off her form a few days ago and began retillering her after her sinew cured. After removing wood a few scrapes at a time I got to the point where she was pulling over 50#@20". A few days later and a few more scrapes I have her pulled to 55#@24", still a bit strong. I still need to correct the tiller some too so that will get the weight down some more. I took her out and put 12 shots through her. She is quite fast! With the wide arrow pass I wasn't getting real good arrow flight with the parallel poplare I was shooting. Proper tapered(either natural or manufactured) arrows will make a difference.
  Anyway here she is. The 1st pic id of her braced at about 5". The next she is pulled to 22" and the last 2 pics are at 24" showing both sides of the bow.
 After looking at these 24" draw pics the string angle at the tips shows I should be able to get another inch or two of draw out of her. I'd love it if she would pull 26" and still hold together.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline burnt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2012, 04:33:00 PM »
I like the reflex you put in your shortie. I was a little intimidated to put heat to mine do to the shortage of yew in these parts. I believe mine came from keenan by way of Stiks. Anyway nice looking stick.
"TGMM Family Of The Bow"

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
Keenan gave me this piece last year at the Tenn. Classic. I think that is where Kris got his too. With these short bows you have to flip the tips to get a longer draw or the string will pull off the end or the stacking gets bad. I wish I had flipped these a little more than I did.
  Not much yew here in the mountains of NC. Have to import it from Oregon.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »
Nice looking bow again Pat.
Where on that bow will you scrap from to improve the tiller and get your extra length. Tiller looks good in those photos so will you just scrape full length or pick a specific area to get what you need. Always looking to learn from those with more experience than me.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »
Once the tiller looks good on any bow I just make long scrapes to reduce the weight. The right limb in the bottom pic looks a bit stiff about mid limb so I'll start there probably. I will really just have to wait and see as I go. I have to reduce the weight a bit anyway.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline burnt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
Maybe you could make a wedge of antler or horn for to the tips to increase the angle at the nock.
"TGMM Family Of The Bow"

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »
I was in the basement exercising her on the tiller tree to see where I could remove wood to get her weight down a bit when...

I will remove the sinew(save for another project)and do a post mortum when I get over the shock. I have to say I'm not surprised, disappointed yes but not surprised. I guess I was trying to get too much pull for her short length. As you can see, not even 2 thick layers of back sinew will hold a bow together if it is overstressed.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »
Bummer Pat. I feel your pain. You had that baby looking really good. As you said she was definitely a shorty. On a good note I know where you can get some more  :bigsmyl:
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
Ouch, sorry to see that Pat!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
Bummer pat. Sorry for your loss.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
After thinking about it and studying the break I came to the conclusion that she broke in tension, ripping the sinew backing as she blew. I made sure I use plenty of sinew across the handle area and out the fades and on to the limbs because I know that is a highly stressed area. What I didn't know is I should not have left the handle area thick and I shouldn't have narrowed into the handle. The thick and stiffer handle caused the limb to hinge and break 3 1/2" from the handle on the bottom limb, right on the crown of the back.
  At least I've learned what not to do next time. I'm gonna soak the sinew off and save it for the next bow. I've already been thinking about it. Some of the sinew in this bow came from "Elkie" after she rejected it. She is a osage static recurve I made to go elk hunting. And I think I'll make my first atlatl from the good limb. Nothing goes to waste in primitive archery. d;^)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline burnt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2012, 02:53:00 PM »
ouch. that sound can haunt a feller. I think your taking it better than I would.
"TGMM Family Of The Bow"

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2016, 06:25:00 PM »
I like to look at old posts.  Looks like it broke where it was not bending in the mid area.  The fades were bending.

Offline Carson81

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Surewood Shafts
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2016, 02:30:00 PM »
That is a bummer Pat. Lots of work right there.
I might have nothing to do with it, but in my mind, it seems like it would be hard to get the sinew to make a good strong bond to the wood, where it has to run up and over the hold down piece that is running cross wise.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©