Author Topic: Is $60 to much for a drawknife?  (Read 674 times)

Offline AndrewArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Is $60 to much for a drawknife?
« on: January 15, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
I'm really frustrated and need some help.

Do you think this drawknife is worth $60?

Its on "Fleabay" and if you search for "Draw Knife, 8-1/4" Long Blade Woodworkers Vintage Hand Tool" you'll find it.

Thank you.
What man is a man who does not make the world a better place

Offline AndrewArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is $60 to much for a drawknife?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »

Offline AndrewArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 05:01:00 PM »

Offline AndrewArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »

Offline AndrewArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 05:11:00 PM »
And if you're wondering why there are blank posts by me, its because I tried adding a link, and it didn't work. So I explained what happened in the other posts.

Then I realized I can edit posts. So that's what I did. Lol.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
I've read here that guys have picked up a draw knife at an antique store for $20. Not saying the exact one your talking about. If it were me I'd keep looking, but I'm a cheap. Good luck!
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
I picked mine up for $20

Offline ProArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 05:46:00 PM »
one on e  bay  ending in 4hrs at 23.00
People need to get a life. That dose not mean to take someone else’s, or to make one they can't support.

If you fish and hunt only to catch or kill something. You have MISSED THE POINT COMPLETELY.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 06:21:00 PM »
That one is in excellent shape and would last you a life time. Mine has 'bout 1/2 as much blade left and still works great. It's worth whatever you're willing to pay.

Offline AndrewArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by Art B:
That one is in excellent shape and would last you a life time. Mine has 'bout 1/2 as much blade left and still works great. It's worth whatever you're willing to pay.
Well, I bought it    :bigsmyl:

Thank you VERY much everyone. I appreciate it.

I now have a draw knife!    :jumper:

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
Congratulations Andrew, I hope it is a real good tool. As Art said it is worth it if you are willing to pay for it and it works for you. I just spent half the day making shavings with my draw knife and it is alot of work but a very useful tool. If you need a farriers rasp send me a PM.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline mullet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 07:55:00 PM »
I just bought one at the Flea Market this morning for $10.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »
Ah, the land of year round flea markets! Gotta love that Eddie! Going to be spring before they get going good around these parts. Last decent draw knife I saw this past summer sold for 60 bucks. That's pretty much the going rate here.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 01:40:00 AM »
I buy drawknives at a local series of old tool swaps. I look for the ones with solid handles (or at least not too loose), not too many hammer marks on the spine, no deep nicks in the blade, and cheap enough that I can resell it for $20 and make a couple bucks.
I did pretty good for a couple years and got lots of people using a good quality drawknife. But my last couple swaps have seen somewhat higher prices and I'm afraid I may have artifically driven up prices on the tools by buying them so frequently.  
 :knothead:  

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline AndrewArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »
Thanks razorback. I can't wait for it to get here.

Well now that I have a draw knife, I'm looking for a osage orange stave. I'm looking on e bay, but shipping is kind of a lot.

Where do you get your staves?

Offline Renacs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
Ohio is full of osage.  Most farmers wont mind giving you permission to harvest some.
smooth seas never made a skillful sailer.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
I would suggest not buying a stave off of evilbay, lots of guys have gotten ripped from doing that. Pick out someone who is either a TG member or a friend suggested by someone here. It's a touchy subject around here unless they are a sponsor and we can get in trouble for even speaking of such things so I won't say any more than don't get in a big hurry on the stave. Do a little homework first and someone will point you toward a reputable osage dealer, but by all means avoid evilbay at all cost.
Better yet, find someone close by you that will let you cut some on their property. It's very rewarding to harvest your own.

That's my best advice and good luck.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 09:38:00 AM »
I have a enough osage to last me a long time. I have though if I ever need to cut again(doubtful), I would put an ad in the  paper "want to buy, standing osage, bodock, hedge trees". If you had your pick and offered the owner $50 a tree I bet you would have a lifetime worth of wood short order.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
$20 is too much for a draw-knife. Big flea markets and yard sales in my area have lots for sale and can be bought sometimes for $10 or less. I have perosnally given away a few I bought cheap. If I had an extra one I would send it to you FREE.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
$60  :scared:  

To answer your question, it depends on the draw-knife.  

When younger(30 years back), between projects, I hand peeled trees/logs for log homes (you can't call them cabins) and once paid over $100 for a new one made in Europe; didn't like it and traded it for a Labrador retriever.  As with bows, what one person likes often varies from one person to the next.  If possible, you should try to use a few different styles before investing that much in a draw-knife.   After using one for a while you can tell if it will be a good one for you by the balance the first time you lift it.  I went through a couple dozen draw knifes, both new and old ones, over a ten year period before narrowing the stable down to half a dozen that worked best, for me.  I try keep at least that many on hand for my winter bow building classes.  The price paid for those I still have was between $2 and $35, as you probably guessed, the $2 one works best and is used the most.  As mentioned before, get one with good handles, which is hard to determine on the auction site.  In addition, get one without any pits on the first 1/4-1/2 inch of the blades leading edge, also hard to determine on the auction site.  The shape and angle of the handles will determine the effectiveness of a draw-knife along with the type of logs/stave it is best suited for.  You will have more control with handles that come back at 90 degrees from the blade but take the skin off your knuckles when used on large logs/staves.  For hogging the bark off large logs draw-knifes with handles close to 45 degrees will save the knuckles, but the trade-off is less control.

I would pay $60 for another draw-knife like my $2 beauty but wouldn’t pay $10 for the one I traded for the dog, unless it was to resale at a profit.

Oh ya, if you want to shoot heavy bows, from both the right and left side, peeling logs will get you into the 80-90# range after 4-6 months, if you work at it.

One last note, I am a sucker for ones with the folding handles because when folded they protect the blade from nicks, the handles spread apart thus saving my knuckles on the larger logs,..... and they just look coooooool.

The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©