Author Topic: Self bow strings.  (Read 1925 times)

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
Self bow strings.
« on: January 19, 2012, 04:13:00 PM »
How many of us are using modern string materials on our self bows?
 I have been using DF97 10 strands with .030 serving, and padded loops to 16 in all of the bows I made.Osage, Hickory and Maple without any tip reinforcings.  I tried Dacron, and just don't like the way it feels and shoots . Not a sign of any tip damage or wear from the DF97, and the bows are quieter, quicker, and far less feeling in the hand on the shot. I also find I don't hit my arm nearly as often with the DF strings.
 Anyone else using new materials?
 Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Self bow strings.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 04:17:00 PM »
I thought about using the newer stuff but the dacron is a lot cheaper so that's what I use.

I do overlay on all my tips any way so maybe I need to just break down and get some.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
I'm old school here, B-50.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »
I've always used B-50. Generally 14 strand, 2 bundle flemish twist with one loop and a bowyers knot. I never got into fast flight or other similar strings primarily because of the cost difference. I have two osage selfbows that Dano gave me and both have fast flight strings and no tip overlays. I don't think FF strings are as detrimental to selfbows as it can be to glass bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Nim-rod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 04:30:00 PM »
B-50 here too. Mostly because I love the price and I can get a multitude of colors at half the price for more than twice as much string material: 1/4# @ $9.50 for B-50 vs 1/8# @ $18.50 for DF 97. And the 1/4# spool of B-50 has 1187 feet of material vs 375 feet for 1/8# of the DF 97. Info found on 3Rivers Archery website.
Proud to be "regressing"

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 04:48:00 PM »
I don't see the economy factor. You get more feet  per pound with Modern material, and use less feet per string.
 10 strands of DF97 will easily handle a 60# bow.

From BYC site,
 DynaFLIGHT 97 Bowstring The original high strength Dyneema® bowstring - 100% SK 75; very durable, low creep. Available in solid colors.

Recommended strands: 14-16, 26-28 on crossbows
Approx ft/lb waxed: 6700
Spool sizes: 1 lb, 1/4 lb, 1/8 lb

8190 Universal Bowstring
The toughest bowstring material ever made. Stability, speed, safety, durability, reliability. Available in solid colors.
•The lowest creep EVER in 100% Dyneema®
•The world's strongest H.M.P.E.
- Made from DSM's SK90 Dyneema®
•GORE® fiber added for even higher durability
•Smaller diameter strand for highest speed.
24 strands = 18 of 8125.
Recommended strands: 24/26
Approx ft/lb waxed: 9,500
Spool sizes: 1/8, 1/4 and 1lb

8125G Bowstring
92% SK75 Dyneema®, 8% GORETM fiber. Highest speed and higher durability; preferred by some compound shooters - particularly 3D. Also the choice of Olympic style recurve shooters. Available in all colors except Camo, Autumn and Flame.

Recommended strands: 18
Approx ft/lb waxed: 8200
Spool sizes: 1 lb, 1/4 lb, 1/8 lb

B500 Bowstring
Made from polyester material like the original Dacron; the ideal product for traditional archers. Also used on older crossbows. Available in solid colors.

Recommended strands: 12-16, 22-26 on crossbows
Approx ft/lb waxed: 4300  
Spool sizes: 1 lb, 1/4 lb

B55 Bowstring
100% polyester similar to Dacron but with better durability and very low stretch. Available in solid colors.

Recommended strands: 12-16 for recurves, 22-26 for older crossbows
Approx ft/lb waxed: 4300
Spool sizes: 1 lb, 1/4 lb

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
B-50  :D
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline dmikeyj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »
B-50 here too, although I do make linen strings also.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
I love fools' experiments. I am always making them.

Offline J.F. Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »
I've been using D97 on my wooden bows since it became widely available, and you couldn't pay me to use B50 again. as you say, bows are noticeably quicker, quieter and more pleasant in the hand with D97 as compared to B50. myself, I prefer 3 ply 15 strand strings with .021 serving. no need for reienforcing loops this way.
"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
High performance for me.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
I use both............together!!!  :readit:

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »
I hope the guy that gets my swap bow is a die hard B50 man. Because he will be geting a bow with 10 strands of DF97 paded to 16 in the loops, with .030 serving and beaver balls .
 Perhaps whoever it is will shoot it the way it comes , and with his own B50 and post his thoughts after shooting it both ways.
 Pete.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
LOL. I thought B50 was a newer, modern material.  :)  Jawge

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
You don't have to settle on just one type of string guys. Personally, I'm going to use what best suits my needs at any given time.

I like to look at arrow flight and groups to determine what type string to use for any particular bow. Dacron, for me, gives me better arrow flight and grouping. But for hunting purposes, the FF material is much more quiet.

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
LOL. I thought B50 was a newer, modern material.  Jawge

For you Jawge , Dacron is space age.

Pete

Art makes a good point about flight.
 Almost any time we increase performance the flight of that old arrow is changed. Usualy this results in needing more spine/tuning to get the  clean flight , acuracy back.If it launches faster it behaves diferent, just like shooting the arrow from a heavier bow..
  Pete

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
What Art said!

Personally, I use all different types of string material, my current favorite being Astro-Flite (Don’t tell anybody, but I have even started using endless loop strings on some of my selfbows because it is sooooo easy to get the right length.).  Seriously though, I have close to a 100 strings tied up at different lengths with B-50 and use one of them to break-in each new bow.  After 100-200 arrows I switch to a D-97, Fast Flight Plus, or other low stretch material, the results are they seem slightly faster, but that could be my imagination.  Most significant, at least for me, is the reduction of hand shock.  Regardless of the type of bow or materials used making the bow, they all are quieter and have less vibration.  Unlike most people that use the low to non stretch materials, I like to keep the string count up to 14 strands for durability.  These materials seem less durable then the B-50, the strands fray and break easier when going through thick brush, throwing the bow down from the treestands, raking a tree when calling elk, or what-not; you know, just the general abuse that I annually put my bows through.  Like Art, I have found the low strech strings quieter, while others have the opposite results.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Dimondback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 03:42:00 AM »
I tried to use the FF string my Savannah came with but ended up making a couple of B-50 strings for it instead. It seems to shoot smoother and more accurate with them with my current arrow setup but with a slight drop in speed. I will trade accuracy for speed any day. I will eventually upgrade both arrows and string but doing just fine with what I have got right now. (If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?)  :D
"Do or Do Not, There is no "Try"
Martin Savannah 45#
3PC Home Built Longbow 53# @ 28"
MAJ - SCARNG 1998 - Present

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 06:33:00 AM »
8-10 strand D10 for all my bows. My trade bow will leave with  D10 string on it. I use overlays when the mood strikes me. So far I havent had any tips sawed off by my non-abrasive ff loops. A few have several thousand shots on them and you would never know.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 03:06:00 PM »
Walt,
 I knew i wasnt the only one that ubused his bows! Mine are covered with srcatches.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »
High performance for me.  J.D. Jones always used High performance strings on his Genesis selfbows, and he has made a lot of bows.
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©