Author Topic: Action Boo  (Read 347 times)

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
Action Boo
« on: January 22, 2012, 09:39:00 AM »
If I understand correctly Action Boo is actually bamboo floorboards glued up of many strips vertically. These are cut into strips and ground into bow laminates? Is the glue used in these floorboards heat resistant or will they delaminate when the bowlimb is cured in the heat box? The Smooth On or similar Epoxy will of course hold them together, but still. Maybe I am thinking too much? I wonder if Bingham or Master Crafters are using floor boards or if the bamboo is made especially for bow laminates? Bue--.

Online rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Action Boo
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
Oddbjorn,
Congratulations on 1000 posts! I am not sure if actionboo and the flooring stuff are the same but for the most part anymore I only use Bamboo flooring and I have never had a failure with the glue joints after cooking them in the oven. I only use the vertical bamboo because I do worry about having a factory glue joint failing in shear inside the lamination. I do not think the vertical glue joints have much stress at all on them and they are also sandwiched with proper glue and backing so i would not think you would get a failure there unless your bow was twisting to one side and torsioning the vertical joints but that would be a different problem if that was happening. Hope some of this helps and once again 1000 posts I think may put you in the "Legend" catigory   :notworthy:
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 04:30:00 PM »
rmorris, I'd be interested in more info on the use of bamboo flooring.  I think I get what you are saying but am not sure.  Pics?  Any recommendations on the brand of flooring to use?

Thanks for reading.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
Some bamboo flooring has voids in it, which can cause problems. Another type to avoid is the woven strand type. It splinters a lot. I used it on the belly of a bow and, although the bow is a good shooter, I still worry about it lifting a splinter.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
I moved rmorris excellent post : How to make tapers and parallells to the top. Bue--.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »
I been using it for years. You want to get the Moso type flooring which is matured plants. Morning Star is one brand that is good. Northwest is another. Regardless of the brand it will have some voids but they are mininmal.
High on Archery.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©