Author Topic: Bow design and bend shape ?  (Read 493 times)

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow design and bend shape ?
« on: January 22, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »
Well I have been on here for a few years now making my way through the learning process. Have even managed to get a few shooter bows out of the workshop. I believe this is a matter of listening to advise, paying attention to what I read and others say, and kepping at it. I now find that I have a hole in my understanding of bow design, well one of many probably  :) . The issue is I don't know what bow design creates what bow shape.

I hear of eliptical curves, d-shaped curves and circular; lets not even go near R/D designs. Occassionaly someone will mention how a pyramid design is supposed to bend or how a bow should bend if the width stays constant for half the length and then tapers to the tip. Can any of the more experienced bowyers catalogue the limb design and bending shape of various bow varieties, along with pictures.

I know this is a big ask and maybe if anyone has a specific design they are very familiar with they could do that one. I think this would help many of us improve our designs and tiller our bows to match the design.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow design and bend shape ?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
Traditional Bowyers Bible #1 Chapter 3 & TBB #4 Ch 7 both are focused on design etc. That should get you started.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »
I have vol 1 and have to get the other ones. Will reread that and see if it answers the questions I have.

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »
Looking forward to answers on this.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 06:48:00 PM »
This is a pretty good bend. Notice how the limb is pretty much bending in an arc. This one has a tip wedge and Power lam to manipulate where the limb bends the most. Notice the tips are stiff for good string angle.
Now how you get this is thru Prototyping you particular design. Different tapers-power lams -tip weges-fade angles etc.
Yes read the book and go from there.

High on Archery.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 07:58:00 AM »
I'm looking more for information on what tiller shape is supposed to come from different selfbow designs. Not so much on the shapes and characteristics of laminate bows. Not there yet in my evolution as a budding bowyer.

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 08:10:00 AM »
I can only speak on selfbows I've never built any glass bows. Pyramid designed limbs should bend more in the inner limbs than parallel limbs. If the limbs are parallel in width then the bend moves to a more elliptical shape, in other words the inner limbs dont bend near as much. You can tiller a parallel limbed bow to bend more in the inner limbs like a pyramid bow but it may take more set than normal or it may be kinda sluggish. Heres a pretty good example of elliptical tiller.

Heres elb circle tiller. Notice how the handle bends a little bit and it gets more bend as you move toward the tips but the last 8-10" is still fairly stiff.

Offline TVAfishing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »
You need to get a copy of Stim Wilcox's book on selfbows it will give You everything You need!

terry

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »
Thanks Okie, that is the sort of info I was looking for.
TVA what is the name of Stim's book, don't think I have heard of it.

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
Stim's book title is  "The Art of making selfbows"

The bowyers bible's have the info you are looking for as well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©