Author Topic: Friendly competition?  (Read 1679 times)

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
Friendly competition?
« on: January 22, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »
All this talk about axe handles and church pews and such has me thinking. Would there be enough interest to start a friendly game where everybody builds a bow, and the only rule is that the bow has to be made from materials that were originally used for something else.

Examples would be bookshelves, fence posts, benches, Timmy's crutches...etc.

I think points should also be awarded for age/history. For example: grandpas walking stick would be worth more than a bookshelf you just bought for the sole purpose of building a bow.

Anyway, I think it would be kinda cool to see some of the innovative uses household items could be put to.

Scott
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Friendly competition?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
That sounds like a cool idea. I have plenty of wood from old furniture/etc. to make risers, but I'll have to scratch around to find wood for limbs.
Now you've done it...another idea stuffed into my poor overloaded brain!  :knothead:  
Not only will I not be able to pass by a tree without picturing it as a bow or furniture or whatever, now I'll be eying peoples' furnishings too.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
I can play this game I have an old rock maple table top that is just sitting around and now have the ability to cut my own veneers or lams.  I can do a "All Natural" Tri-lam bow like I have always wanted.  

The only real problem is I dont have a stack thicknes of where to start say for 50 pounds at 28 on a 60 incher

Shawn

Offline Balding Kansan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
I can only see this competition ending with a pissed off wife!! "Honey, I have no idea what happened to the base trim in the kitchen."
I hate rudeness in a man...won't tolerate it. -Lonesome Dove
Hill Country Harvest Master
KennyM Swap bow

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »
Glad there is some interest! Any other rules or stipulations anybody can think of?

Scott

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »
I think we should post pics of whatever it starts out as just to see the progression from furniture (or whatever) to bow.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
I think you let the gang vote. Use that poll option and post it under the pow wow with all the bow that are entered. Leave it open for x number of days and who gets the most votes wins for the most part.

But use other points for say tie breakers, like who used the most recycled materials. ie old, belt for hand, old barn board for the bow, old cutting board for tips overlays and stuff like that. I mean you could have several extra points.
tips, overlays, underlays, rest, handle and the bow it self.

Just a brain storm, Oh and you would want to set a  sign up date then a start and close date.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
All my osage bows are made from fence posts. Can i still play?
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
When would the contest end? Can it be later in the year after the trade is done? I just don't want to get too jammed up with things I want to do.
Dave.

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »
Awesome. I know nothing about running a contest so ill be winging it lol. I was really trying to gage interest, but it looks like there is a little bit.

Any more ideas you guys have are welcome, and DVS im pretty sure u can come up with something better than a fence post, but as long as we get before and after pics I suppose its ok.  :)  

Scott

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »
Im open. Give me some input. What's a good date for everyone? I guess we need a date for entry and one for completion?

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
This os gonna have to be a long contest i think. Maybe sign up now and deadline is the end of the year. That way we have tike to get creative with our materials.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
It might be a good idea to let it run fairly long to give people enough time to scrounge up enough old crap - I mean antique wood - to build a good bow.  :goldtooth:  
Plus I need some time to work on my trade bow and get it right.
Dave.

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
Alright, so deadline for finished bow sounds like 12-31-12. How long u guys think we should take entries? I was assuming we take names until a specified date then the rest of the year is used to build? Or you think just take entries all the way till the last day?

Scott

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
Might just let guys enter them as they build them Scott. They did something like this on the knife forum a good while back. I think making the deadline the end of the year is a good idea. There is almost 100 folks in the swap this year.

I would enter if it was open to entries until the deadline if I run across the material.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
Im fine with that. Open entry until the end of the year...I guess anybody who wants to enter can just post here and ill try and keep track? I guess at the end of the year I can narrow it down to a top 10 or something to let everybody vote on.

Scott

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
I like these ideas: let it run to the end of the year, anyone can enter at anytime and we all vote for the winner. There doesn't have to be any prize, just a fun contest.
Dave.

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
Yep! I really want to see the before and afters. I think it should be a rule that we have to post pics of any and all things we dismantle for our respective bows. If halfway through you decide you want to add cutting board tips, as was mentioned above, you have to show us the whole cutting board just so everyone can see the transformation

Scott

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
Psychmonky I would start a sign up thread then a build thread or use this as a build thread. but start a sign up thread with the rules.

I agree to enter you should post pics of the before materials as you sign up.

If I was you I would try and get a panel to vote on the 10 ten who are not in the thing. If you go that route. That way you could enter yourself.

I am willing to help you out a bit in keep track of all that entered. After helping stiks with the swap I am ok at that kind of stuff.
This would be easy compared to that. This would just be a list of names.

To sum up what you have so far.

any one can enter but the bow must be of recycled material, that were something other then a bow.

You must post pics of the before, ie that dresser, handle or fence post and of course the end product.

You must post your bow before midnight 2012, 31 Dec. Now is what time zone?

How is that so far?

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
Psychmonky I would start a sign up thread then a build thread or use this as a build thread. but start a sign up thread with the rules.

I agree to enter you should post pics of the before materials as you sign up.

If I was you I would try and get a panel to vote on the 10 ten who are not in the thing. If you go that route. That way you could enter yourself.

I am willing to help you out a bit in keep track of all that entered. After helping stiks with the swap I am ok at that kind of stuff.
This would be easy compared to that. This would just be a list of names.

To sum up what you have so far.

any one can enter but the bow must be of recycled material, that were something other then a bow.

You must post pics of the before, ie that dresser, handle or fence post and of course the end product.

You must post your bow before midnight 2012, 31 Dec. Now is what time zone?

How is that so far?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©