Author Topic: Whitewood selfbow design  (Read 535 times)

Offline WyomingWhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
Whitewood selfbow design
« on: January 23, 2012, 12:17:00 AM »
Well i finally have a few pieces of wood to try my hand at self bowyering. The first piece that i think im going to try is what i think is hickory. It might be maple but the more i think about it the more i remember it being hickory. I would be interested in every ones favorite designs for whitewood selfbows. Ive been reading the traditional bowyers bibles and right now im thinking a pretty simple flatbow. Probably somewhere between 1-3/4 to 2 inches wide for most of it length tapering down at the tips. Probably around 65inchs long and somewhere around 45-50lbs. Im thinking this design would be very durable and would easily make a bow of this weight however i have to wonder if the more experienced bowyers could tell me if i could go narrower or shorter. Any input for a first bow would be appreciated.

Offline Steve B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whitewood selfbow design
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 12:36:00 AM »
Its hard to beat the info in that first vol of TBB.  Stick to the dimensions recommended there for your wood type.  Make a few 'strong and healthy' bows then experiment with pushing the limits on dimensions.  So stay on the wide and long side, particularly if your draw length is much over 27".

If you could post pics along the way you'll get good guidance here.  I'll post the pics for you if you want.

Offline WyomingWhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
Ill add some pictures of the wood in questions so maybe someone can verify that it is hickory. One of the bark, one of the wood just under the back and one of the side grain.

Offline pipedream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
Yep that's hickory
Pipedream

Offline WyomingWhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
Cool i couldn't remember if it was hickory or maple. I got it from my uncle like 5-6 years ago.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 12:55:00 PM »
It ought to be about right to work now! d;^)
  For a 28" draw 65" long and 1 3/4" at the fades should easily get you a 45#-50# bow. Take the 1 3/4" out 6" to 8" before a straight taper to 1/2" tips(for now).
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline WyomingWhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »
Hope you guys don't mind the all the pictures. I kinda got the bow laid out generously on the piece of wood. i laid it out 2 inches wide for about 6 inches each side of the handle and then tapering to 3/4. I figure that way it will give me plenty to shape to final size once i get it roughed out. the only concern i have is getting it laid out straight with the longitudinal grain. As far as i can tell this piece is pretty straight grained but i don't really want to screw this piece up before i even get started. these are pictures of the bow laid out which is really hard to see and probably wont help at all but maybe someone can give input on if it is ok or not before i start taking it down to shape. I also tried to miss the knot at the end of the one limb.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
Do you see how that grain swerves to the left of your tip lines and the knot? Thats the grain you need to follow. You need to go around the knot and then straighten back out. That will make for a cool profile and a shore bow.

Offline WyomingWhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
yea i see where you are talking about. I had been thinking about probably having to do something there but i wasn't sure. Looking at the pictures i think i can actually see it better than in person. Must be one of those step back and look from a distance type of things. So it will have a pretty good whoop at the one end but the rest of it looks pretty straight.

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
Looks good to me but I too am a novice!  - I agree with Pearl - follow the grain around the knot.  You can decide later if it will need striaghten out or if the string will lay straight through the handle.  Good luck
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
Did I miss seeing what your draw length is? My site may help you. Jawge
 http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/

Offline WyomingWhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »
Well ill probably tiller it to 27-28 inches. Last time i checked my draw was around 26.5-27 inches but ill be honest. I really haven't shot archery much in the last 5 years. This bow will hopefully be a way for me to get back into it. Just looked at your site and there is a lot of good info there. I think other than the knot on the end which i already fixed on my layout the rest looks ok to me. Would be interested in any more opinions though.

Offline WyomingWhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 12:01:00 AM »
here is a picture of a quick scribbled layout of around the knot. I think the curve probably needs to start sooner and end later and be a little more gradual but i figure ill leave lots of wood around there when i rough it out. That way i can slowly rasp it down to final profile and hopefully get it right. So am i anywhere near close?? Hope you guys don't mind all the dumb questions.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 12:09:00 AM »
my layout for hickory bows has been to the bowyers bible specs, 2" wide to mid limb, then tapering to 1/2" nocks( not 1/2" tips!! 1/2" at the nock- then finishing the tips however you want- i find if you do 1/2 tips then come back an inch to set you nocks- well its all just getting unneccesarily thicker and heavier)
but good luck- and welcome back to the fold-
and if you will just sign here.... and here....
- then your life as you know it will be over- and your new and psychodellic world of addiction and dependance will lead from here!!!!!!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
It never hurts to over build your first few.  Make it at least 66 in ntn. 1.75 in to 2 in  wide ought to do it. As PD said, follow that vertical or lateral grain right up the length of the bow. Looks like you did a great job around the knot. Jawge

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 08:55:00 AM »
I see 2 curved lines right around the knot and that is what I was talking about. Jawge

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
I see 2 curved lines right around the knot and that is what I was talking about. Jawge

Offline WyomingWhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement guys. hopefully i can get a bench built with a vice setup soon so i can have a way to hold it while i work on it. then hopefully i can get it started toward looking like a bow.

Offline ALW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 05:52:00 AM »
I haven't built a lot of bows but I use mostly hickory.  And I draw about 29 inches.  With your draw I wouldn't go more than 1 3/4" wide for a parallel limb design.  I think 2" is a bit wide for your draw length and the weight you mentioned, even at 65".  Just extra limb weight.  And I wouldn't go much past mid limb with that width.  Hickory can take a lot.  Especially if you keep it really dry.  I'm getting better results since I built a drying box and keep the humidity in the box around 35%.

Aaron

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©