Author Topic: FIRST ANNUAL SCAVENGER BOW CHALLENGE SIGNUP THREAD  (Read 2706 times)

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: FIRST ANNUAL SCAVENGER BOW CHALLENGE SIGNUP THREAD
« Reply #60 on: February 29, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »
Scrub you aren't out! You have a whole year!
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: February 29, 2012, 07:05:00 PM »
I'll keep looking
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »
TTT for any one who didn't see it before.

Offline jtbluefeather871

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2012, 11:47:00 PM »
I'm still a newbie builder, but I'm keeping my eyes open for something!
I learned "Semper Fi" as a Marine, and have lived it every day since.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »
Bought some older straight grained yard sticks from goodwill but may use them for my tillering tree since it would only make a kids bow with the thickness. Still keeping and eye out for supplies.

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by SportHunter:
Bought some older straight grained yard sticks from goodwill but may use them for my tillering tree since it would only make a kids bow with the thickness. Still keeping and eye out for supplies.
Glue them together and make a laminate bow!

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by AKmud:

Originally posted by SportHunter:
Glue them together and make a laminate bow! [/b]
I only got the two that were there so I would need a few more or some other material to do a laminate bow.

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
They should be the perfect thickness for backing...splice them and find something to glue em to!

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2012, 12:29:00 PM »
I think I found materials. Here is a pic of bed slats that came with a king sized platform bed frame. Switched over to low profile box springs so these were sitting around in a stack. They are laminated with about 7 thin layers and act as a spring for a mattress. They are 3/8" x 2 3/8" x 37 3/4". Should be able to make a pyramid style bow out of them.

Offline dinorocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
My son and I were viewing a bunch of Trad Gang forum posts last Sunday morning and came across the scavenger bow challenge.  We had fun brainstorming about what we could use to make a bow and came up with the following idea.  We didn’t see a minimum age for this contest so my son Colton (age 8) will enter and I will help him along as needed (he is the one who had the most input on the idea and, at his young age, already has three bows under his bib belt.

We will use an old hockey stick with a broken blade for the bow, a section of a hockey puck for the tip overlays, netting from an old hockey net for building up the handle, and hockey tape to wrap the handle.  We plan to keep the original hockey stick lettering on the back of the bow.

We searched for a bunch of old hockey sticks and found one that may work…it appears to have a white wood core (hickory and ash are common woods used for making hockey sticks) with a darker laminated wood on the sides.  We are hoping that the laminate on one side of the bow will hold up and not separate from itself or the white wood core.  Because this bow will be my son’s, we can make it a bit lighter and hopefully not strain the bow wood too much.  

Regarding the tip overlays, we think that the hard black plastic puck material should serve its purpose…we will need to figure out the best way to cut it and glue it to the bow.

Because the hockey stick shaft is narrow, we decided that we could keep with the hockey theme and use netting from an old hockey net to build it out a bit and create some “ribbing” for gripping and an arrow rest.  Old hockey tape will be use to hold the netting in place.

We assume someone has also come up with this idea in the past…any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dino and Colton

Hockey stick

Hockey stick shaft text

Close up of hockey stick shaft wood
"Speedy arrow, sharp and narrow."  GD

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2012, 02:16:00 PM »
Brilliant, can't wait to see you pull it off!!!!!
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »
Awesome! Of course there isn't a minimum age! Love to see the young ones getting involved!

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
Thats gonna be nice Dino. Good luck to you and your son on the build. Im still lookin for something to use for mine.  :)

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
The hockey stick is a great idea, really want to see the outcome.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
really novel idea- will keep watching!

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »
I'm looking forward to the outcome of this contest.

(I'm not going to do it because I've got YEARS of making bows from stuff that used to be other things, and I don't think it would be fair.)
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline mwirwicki

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
Holy short-term memory, Batman!  I forgot all about this one.  Glad to see it on top of the posts.  Gotta get working on ideas....

Offline dinorocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2012, 05:32:00 PM »
Well, we are making some progress...Colton traced out the bow design using the Ferrets bow ruler, my buddy worked his magic with his band saw, and Colton resumed by rasping and scraping to the pencil lines.  Next we will work toward getting the bow floor tillered.  Looking good so far!  It appears that the white wood sandwiched between the laminated sections is pretty soft...might be pine (was hoping for hickory or ash).  The laminate will act as a backing and should hold things together nicely...hopefully we will not get too much string follow.

The fades are the width of the hockey stick and extend a little past the half way point of the limbs before they taper to the tips.  We may leave the handle section the same width as the fades (i.e., keep the section between the handle and fades the same width as the stick).

It would be cool to try an flip the tips a bit but I'm worried that the heat will both ruin the lettering on the back of the hockey stick and cause the laminate to separate...any thoughts??

Below are a few picts of the boy in action!  We will post another update as we get further along.

Thanks,
Dino (and Colton)

"Speedy arrow, sharp and narrow."  GD

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2012, 11:06:00 PM »
dino I would be worried that if you add heat the glue hold the lams would release. A lot of the glues are heat sensitive. If you have a small scrap piece you could test it by heating up and see if it comes apart.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
Should I buy smooth on for a z splice or would TB3 be good enough if spliced then additional overlays are glued over the splice?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©