Author Topic: Smooth on mix ratio?  (Read 262 times)

Offline warden415

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Smooth on mix ratio?
« on: February 02, 2012, 08:18:00 AM »
I have only made a few bows but have always mixed my smooth on evenly on mix ratio. I put A in one cup and B in the other. I draw a line on each cup and fill them to a premeasured mark on the side of the cup. Then combine the two cups into a bowl and mix. The other day i was reading the label and it said if you mix at a 2:1 ratio (can't remember if it was two parts A to one part B , or viseversa) , you get a stronger , more heat resistant bond. Does anybody do this ? And do you see any benefit? Or should I stick to what I have been doing? Thanks

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Smooth on mix ratio?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 10:07:00 AM »
Mix slightly more A than B . (form the chemist mouth at smooth on)

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »
I have worked with epoxies since the early 60's and if the mixing ration was 2-1 then it was packaged that way. I mix smooth-on E40 1:1 and never had a failure.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »
I always mix 1:1 based on volume (which comes out to a ratio of 100:83 based on weight).  100 being the heavy dense white, 83 being the lighter wieght yellow).

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »
I always go heavy on the A not quite two to one but about half in between.More resin , less hardner.

God bless you all , Steve

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
1:1 here.

Offline warden415

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
Thanks for the responses. Sixby, have you always mixed that way or did you have some problems with 1: 1 and found better results with how you are doing it now?

Offline Dimondback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 09:42:00 AM »
I am getting things together to build some laminated bows myself and was not aware that there were variances in the way to mix smooth-on other than according to package directions. When posting, could you guys also post why you use the ratio that you do? It would help us "rookies" make an informed decision on best practices. I know the old saying about opinions but if they have a factual reasoning behind them it is really helpful to those who don't have the depth of experience that you proven bowyer's do.
"Do or Do Not, There is no "Try"
Martin Savannah 45#
3PC Home Built Longbow 53# @ 28"
MAJ - SCARNG 1998 - Present

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©