Author Topic: CAD Riser Modeling  (Read 294 times)

Offline bryan r

• Trad Bowhunter
CAD Riser Modeling
« on: February 03, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
I recently discovered Google Sketchup, a free Computer Aided Design program, that has really opened my eyes to the possibilities of 3D modeling.
I've been working on an ILF riser design for the better part of three months now, sketching out ideas on paper, then wasting copious amounts of scrap 2x4 trying to nail down the basic design.
Since finding the program, I have been able to take those designs, and visualize them in 3d. Allowing me the ability to tweak both major and minor details without wasting a single scrap, or going through the hassle and heartache of building what would ultimately be a failed, unshootable, prototype.

Granted, you never know how something will shoot until you string it up and let her rock, it's still nice to have that basic design element at my fingertips.

I'm curious if anyone else uses CAD programs, or if that's too "untraditional" for most of you on here.    :readit:

Technology does seem to have its advantages. Now I just need to invest in a CNC machine to take the rest of the fun out of the process.
-B

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: CAD Riser Modeling
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 11:21:00 PM »
For me.. I am going to check out that google sketchup.  I use a program called Dynascape for landscape designs, so I have some cad experience.  I think it is a great way to get you riser in order.

But I will always build the riser by hand..for me that is the fun.  I use plenty of good power tools to make it go quick.. but I always cut and shave a little large then take it down slowly as I feel the handle when I am working.
God gave you hands, use them

Offline centerpunch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »
Anyone here know which CNC machine is the best for building recurve bows? Which brand?

Thanks,

Ron

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
PM Brandon of Rose Oak.
High on Archery.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©