Author Topic: Gathering & splitting Ohio osage  (Read 743 times)

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Gathering & splitting Ohio osage
« on: February 05, 2012, 06:17:00 PM »
Got up this morning in a drizzling rain and took off before daylight.

Wanted a couple more osage limbs and logs for future selfbows.

I've tried some linb bows before and lost several good limbs to checking badly during drying or curing of the wood. Seems to be more white wood to heartwood ratio and when the whitewood shrinks while drying it is so strong it splits the heartwood.
I found a fallen osage with a couple usable suckers.
I also found that my gerber tree stand saw is the perfect tool to osage up to 10" in diameter.

A little break after cutting.

Time to go,,, glad they were not too big...

Once I got the limbs home they need preped for drying to prevent them from splitting where I don't want them to.
Notice I split just the smallest part of the side of the limb to allow it a place to dry and the whitewood to shrink without spliting the heartwood. this split allows moisture to escape.
Also note that the open side of the limb will be the belly side of the bow someday leaving the natural reflex in the stave.

On the smaller limbs, I just take off the whitewood when splitting the limb. You can see the heartwood at the split on the bottom. That split didn't go clear to the other end of the limb so, I start at the other end of the limb stave with the wedge. Eventualy, both splits meet leaving the belly open to dry and the reflex in the limb.

Here are my 3 limb staves...

>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gathering & splitting Ohio osage
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
I happen to find a couple nice logs today and spent until about 1pm in the woods playing.
May as well show you all how I split my logs too.

Wedges anda brass sledge works for me. Placeing one wedge at the edge of the stave and strike with sledge.

A couple more wacks and the end splits through.

Place another wedge and wack it  a couple times until the first wedge falls free.

I just leap frog thje wedges until I get to the other end of the log.

To quarter  the log, I start off placing the wedge in the natural center of the wood. You can see it clearly, it's the darkers line in the center of the split log.

Once you get the end started, the second wedge is really productive splitting it almost to the other end.

And then do the other half and you got yourself 4 osage bow staves ready to seal and set aside to cure.

Any large loose areas need cleaned up with the wedges like so.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »
I took with me today my buck saw, gloves, bow saw, wedges, sledge, carry bag and everything I might need.

All I really needed was this great little Gerber tree stand saw and of course my sledge and wedges. But the latter could have been left at home too. Live and learn. I cut all of this with the little saw.

I'm feeling a bit better about my supply for next year. Got it all on top of my rack so ican keep a close eye on it and treat it for bugs before the weather breaks.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
well that was a good days work Joe. I don't think you got enough.  :)

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
Nice haul Joe! I love gettin out in the wods this time of year.

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
Joe, your woods look a lot like where I live.  Congratulations on a good day of osage hunting.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 10:13:00 AM »
Congrats! I'm hoping to have a pile like yours one day.    :pray:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
Nice haul, Joe. Added to your already nice stash you are set for some more bow building adventures.
  How come all you Midwesterners get all the good bow wood?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 02:25:00 PM »
Joe,

Why the brass hammer? Is it just for weight? Or is there some reason u want brass?

Awesome pile of wood.

Scott
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 04:15:00 PM »
Thanks guy's!

Sorry but I had the pics somewhat out of order or even the wrong pics. I was tired and in a hurry I guess. I did go back and edit them though.
Just wanting to share my fun and add to the site. There may be some newbies that haven't seen this done.
Point is, it don't take special tools; anyone can do it if they have access to wood!

PatB, Midwestern osage, as you know, was transported for homesteaders to use for hedge row fencing. Once it established in our good soil, it won't release its grasp. But it is sparse in my lands.

Scrub - Buster, I was in your woods and used Ohio as my cover for this thread. Better check your tree's!    :smileystooges:    

psychmonky, it's all I had. My Son lost my steel sledge. I did find since the brass was softer it didn't bounce off the wedges like a steel one does.... Might be on to something here?
They say you can tell a good bowyer by how many teeth he's missing. I guess this is from the wedges or hammer bouncing back into their faces!

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
Good thread, Joe. You're a bigger man than I am, cutting all that osage with such a little saw. I trick my father-in-law into using his chainsaw to cut mine. Don't want all the sap to gum mine up! LOL
Nice stash.

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
You wouldn't be the first Buckeye to take some of my Hoosier osage!

You got a mighty fine stack of bow wood there.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
Nice days work!  Looks like you have a nice pile to work - congrats.  Wish I could find some growing around here.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
Nice stash Joe...

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
I would be getting the bark and sapwood off those staves while they are green, sure is a lot easier than waiting until they are dry.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
Eric, I agree its easier when green but, some how I've lost good wood in the past due to checking. Anymore, I'd reather have the work than more fire wood. Swear they were sealed good too!
I do keep a close watch for woodborers and will spray them before weather breaks. I wear a mask to shuck the bark.
Yep, it's tougher dry!  :D

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 02:23:00 AM »
Joe, I have left the bark and sapwood on some osage before and put them up to season.  When I got them out, the bark had released and they were checked so bad I had to burn them all.  Since then I have been pealing and sealing them all.  I put several coats of polyurethane or shellac on the back and ends and so far, I haven't had a problem with checking.  Do you store your staves in a place that gets really hot during summer?
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 03:46:00 AM »
I keep them in a screened in covered back porch. it's kinda cool most of the time and the sun never hits it.
Was your osage that released the bark cut in the summer?

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 04:50:00 AM »
Yes it was.  Just like the big one I just finished, it had fallen across a small creek bed.  It really ticked me off loosing that wood because it took a lot of hard work getting it out.  It was about a 12" tree.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 04:41:00 AM »
Clint, I think summer cutting caused your issue's with the bark and whitewood shrinking and releasing, causing checks in the heartwood.
Cutting in the winter when sap is down is probably the best.
That was an awesome haul you had posted. It got me motivated to go out and cut some too.
How's the skinned backings holding up so far?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©