Author Topic: dying bamboo  (Read 689 times)

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
dying bamboo
« on: February 08, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
What is the best way to dye bamboo I want to dye some in a solid color and a fade also but have no idea what the best method is would ryte dye and alcohal work best or water base usage work best

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: dying bamboo
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
I have used alcohol base and Minwax stain with equally good results.

Offline PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »
I've used rit and it works ok. I used the liquid dye. Bamboo has been difficult for me to get a consistant color on. The best product for me has been the purple stuff taxidermists use to dye antler with. Potassium something or other. The two bamboo bows in the pic were done with it. Depending on how much you use it goes from light tan to purple.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
Potassium promangnanate. Never used it on a bow but have used it on antlers and to antique wood. Wear gloves, glasses, it's a strong oxidizer.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
Where would I get that potasium promangnate at I think it will do nice for what I want to do

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 11:41:00 AM »
Most taxidermist supply places sell it in a powder. Mix it with water to make a stain. Start with small amounts of powder and do several light coats to darken is what I have done with other non bow projects. With it being such a strong oxidizer if it's mixed to potent it will actually burn the outside of wood. Becarefull where you put the rags when your done as well. Strong oxidizers can combust!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »
Be careful with potassium permanganate.  It will make a mess of anything it touches, and is very hard on skin, eyes, etc.  I use the stuff at work to clean up solvent spills in groundwater.  Like adeeden says, it is a very strong oxidizer and will give off plenty of heat as it reacts with water and whatever it touches.  I would not use or store it near anything flammable (lacquer thinner, acetone, spray paint, etc).

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 12:51:00 PM »
Maybe I don't wanna use that and stick with minwax or some thing else I wonder if the arrow stain from 3rivers wound work very well on it

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
I especially like to use Fiebings leather dye. Probably not spelled right.
It's available at most leather stores especially Tandy.
Don't think anybody mentioned removing the rind by scrapping or sanding. The better you sand it the more penetration.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 05:42:00 PM »
Forgot to mention the RIT dye powder form mixed in isopropol alcohol works pretty good. And yes the dye from 3 Rivers should work well.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »
The 3 Rivers dye was the type I tried. I "camo" all my boo backed bows by alternating gray 3 Rivers dye and chestnut or walnut Minwax stains. I do all the nodes in gray, then fill in the gaps between with alternating stain colors.

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
I have the walnut from 3river and think I will use it on the nodes I really never messed with taking them down befor always way told to leave em alone or they will break when bow is drawing back but just how far can you take em down I'm sure not flush but can you knock the peaks off to a small rise

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
Jake you can definitely take the peaks off. I just smooth mine some.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
I have used leather dye from Tandy leather for bamboo and it worked great for me.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Steve Thomson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »

I use the Fiebings leather dye on my bamboo bows, and you can create some interesting effects with a small sponge.Use the alcohol base, let dry between applications and have fun.

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 11:09:00 PM »
I use a water based wood dye I buy from woodcraft...don't have the can handy.  Anyways, I make sure to scrape and sand off the waxy rind from the bamboo, then coat with dye until the desired color is achieved.  Shade can then be adjusted with steel wool/SUPER light sanding.  Works well for dyeing fingers, too!    ;)    

Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 11:15:00 PM »
I only use Fiebing's leather dye on bamboo, nothing toxic about it and has almost zero odor. It will color deeply depending on how dark you want it, but usually just one coat is enough. For a cool look try leaving some of the rind on the boo backing which fades out from the nodes in streaks then apply the Fiebing's leather dye. The finished look is lighter starburst type streaks leading away from the nodes into a darker back ground, looks real classy.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 06:38:00 PM »
Semo_hunter, could you post a picture of the starburst finish? It sounds really cool.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
I wouldlilke to see the star bust as weLl bet that looks real good

Offline Living_waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jake Fr:
I have the walnut from 3river and think I will use it on the nodes I really never messed with taking them down befor always way told to leave em alone or they will break when bow is drawing back but just how far can you take em down I'm sure not flush but can you knock the peaks off to a small rise
Jake bamboo has a thin rind that can be carefully scraped or sanded off. The nodes can be sanded just enough to remove the rind, if you sand into the fibers you will weaken it.

denatured alcohol and ebony minwax makes a nice stain for boo.
"Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'” Jesus

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©