Author Topic: Character staves make for a fun morning (finished tiller)  (Read 631 times)

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
Character staves make for a fun morning (finished tiller)
« on: February 08, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
Cleaned out a couple of knots on a fun stave and worked on getting it to brace height.  I love the pillar technique because I can clamp down and use a "tiller gizmo" on each limb.  After finding the stiff areas I can scrape away while it's still clamped.  It sure makes for getting to brace height a bit easier on unique staves.  

He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow, and concealed me in his quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Character staves make for a fun morning (finished tiller)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
Looks great Goose. I'm going to have to try the pillar tiller technique very soon.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »
Cool stave Goose. Looking forward to seeing the bow done.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »
That looks a lot like a few of my better staves. Good work and good luck.
Brian Harris
"I rarely ever give a definate answer about hunting or fishing."  Me

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
Nice bow Goose, but you got some holes in that there bow  :)
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »
Had a gracious wife that let me do some tinkering this morning and I got the bow now to brace height pulling 50# @ 20". It's coming along nicely and no creaks or groans.

He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow, and concealed me in his quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 05:25:00 PM »
Amazing work..

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
Man I like those peep sites on a bow  :)

Cool Goose!!!
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 02:11:00 PM »
Perfect cig. holders.

Why do w need to bore out the knots?looks? or will they make for a stiff spot on the limb?
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 04:06:00 PM »
Your pillar technique is entrigueing, Goose. Nice knots!

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
Pete: I bore out those holes because it was rotten wood.  When I took it down to one ring last July I filled em best I could with titebond on the back but it was still just at floor tiller thickness.  When I began working the belly the knots just gave way and instead of risking a potential crack coming from the rotted wood I just cleaned them out the best I could.  I've seen some crazy bows with holes in the past.  As long as you can tiller slowly and correctly working the bow in with each removal of wood osage can be very resilient.

Red Hill:  The pillar makes it much simpler to get to brace height.  Getting a good curve at brace makes tillering much simpler.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
I love your bows Goose! This one is no exception  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 11:25:00 PM »
After some tinkering I decided that the tips needed a bit more bend so I stuck it at the end of my caul for a little extra heat. I think I'll have to go slow on the other tip with the knot that is close to the end. It's filled with superglue and I dug out all I could before doing so. My future bowmakin son says its coming along quite well but he is going to have to work up to the poundage.  http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy316/goosegossett14/680eae3b.mp4

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 11:43:00 PM »
Success... So far.  I think it's time to call it a night while I'm ahead.

Offline Living_waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
LOL Goose train that boy up right, its a cruel world out there. My daughter was trained right, she was one of the best natural instinctive shooters I had ever seen, made daddy proud. Then she brought this hairy leg boy home and the next thing I knew she went out and bought a new mathews. Now all daddy can do is set looking at the horizon, with a robe and a ring and a bamboo backed osage r/d waiting for her to get tired of slopping with the wheely shooters and come back home.   :goldtooth:
"Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'” Jesus

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
Awesome Goose! But it looks more like you are working up to a higher poundage  :)  Enjoy it, they grow up FAST!!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
Amazing work Goose... I am starting a BBO bow for turkey season in May. I have a snakey osage stave that I want to start after this bow and I hope to pick your brain. YOU ROCK!!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »
Beautiful work, Goose. Jawge

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »
My wife was gracious enough to take a pic of the finished tiller. It looks off but with the roller coaster and questionable pin knot at the end of the top limb I left it a bit stiff. I've shot 150+ shots with it like that and it shoots where I'm looking with minimal hand shock so I'll take it. It is 48lbs @ 28" 65" t2t and has been pulled to 29.5" on the tree with my always questionable draw length.  I'll put either antler tip overlays or some sort of wood, sand it out, and put a finish on it.

Offline bbs383ci

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »
Nice looking bow goose

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©