Author Topic: Scale  (Read 292 times)

Offline Sharpend60

• Trad Bowhunter
Scale
« on: February 08, 2012, 06:15:00 PM »
I need to pick up a scale for measuring draw wieghts.
Up to maybe 80 lbs?
Ive just been winging it as I have just been building bows for myself. I aught to get one as I have to start getting rid of bows soon.

I like in-expensive and functional.

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Scale
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 06:17:00 PM »
Luggage scale at wollyworld or target around 10 bucks if I recall corectly.
Brian Harris
"I rarely ever give a definate answer about hunting or fishing."  Me

Offline Nim-rod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
I bought a Swiss Gear luggage one that goes to 80lbs and it was cheap. Now where did I buy that thing? Hmmmm...TJ Max perhaps. Maybe Sears. I dunno but it has a dial scale with a resettable arm so you don't have to try and look at the scale as it is drwan.
Proud to be "regressing"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
I bought an X-spot digital and wouldnt trade it for any scale. Its super light hanging on your string, accurate and easy to see. I have built at least 50 bows with it and it never gave me a hiccup one.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
I have always used a bathroom scale and a stick marked every inch.  I calibrate the scale for 50# using a dumbell.

Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »
John, is that the dumbell calibrating the scale?
  d;^)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 05:33:00 AM »
I use a bow scale.

I also use an arrow with inch marks on it and a clothes pin that I can move where needed, and works as a stop against the front of the bow.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 08:05:00 AM »
No, Pat, that's John.  :)  BTW I use a Hanson Hand held which I attach to the rope of my rope and pulley and hold the scale in my hand. The weight registers and the reading stays until I slide the indicator back. Check the buildalongs. In my case the dumbell uses the scale. Jawge
 http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 09:47:00 AM »
I use the luggage scale we bought to check our bags for weight (now days you better not go over!!!) It's $20 at bed bath and beyond or online. I put the bow on the tree and pull down to the desired draw, hold for a second and it beeps and locks the weight on the readout,,, I think it's fairly accurate as I haven't been nailed at the airports with my wifes luggage    :)  

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Buzz Killington

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »
I use a $5 fishing scale I bought at walmart. It only goes up to 50#, but I'm sure any sporting goods store would have better ones. Gander mountain sells this hunting scale for $20, and it goes up to 550#. So it will easily handle any bow you could dream of making, with only a slight risk of being overkill  :D .
 http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=427635&pdesc=All_Outdoors_Power_Hang_550_lbs_Scale&str=scale&merchID=4005#details_box_holder
"Skill without creativity is craftsmanship, and gives us many useful items such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Creativity without skill gives us modern art."  -Tom Stoppard

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©