Author Topic: Take down recurve - build along  (Read 1533 times)

Offline goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Take down recurve - build along
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
sweet riser. can't wait to see the finished project

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
This is looking good so far.
High on Archery.

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 11:49:00 PM »
Thanks boys...  Cant wait to see this thing with some clear coat on it!

Got the first limb out of the oven and cleaned up a bit..

God gave you hands, use them

Offline wookiewebster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2012, 01:30:00 AM »
Very nice build. I'm impressed by the skills!

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
Thanks Wookie!

I got the other limb done today.. set it up against the riser:

Got the inserts installed and the pins

Then bolted it all together and drew out my lines.

So tomorrow night after work start shaping the limbs and maybe get a string on it to see about where it is for weight

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
looks great keep it coming long.

Shawn

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
Awsum!

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 11:47:00 PM »
Okay.. got the limbs sanded into shape Monday night.. then took into work to let the guy pull on it a bit.. it is a bit heavy, so I sanded down some black glass on the belly and narrowed them up a bit..

Then I shaped the riser a bit more.. how do you like my pad end shape?

So tomorrow I will have my buddy string it up for me again and do a little bit more testing.. if all is well, then it is to the final sanding and general fit and finish!  Yeah!

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »
Being pulled back some:

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2012, 07:15:00 PM »
So I did some more work on her.. but now I am getting severe twist in the top limb.. I think I went to narrow.  

I am currently cutting new lams for a new set of limbs.. I will take what I learned and hopefully get closer to the weight I want so I don't have to do so much work.

Here is a pic with the current limbs

I would rather get this right than to just try to do a quick fix... so back to the "limb" board.  I hate wasting about 55 bucks in materials.. but what do you do??????

I will go for the tip wedges, but I am going to leave out the power lams.  I will shoot for .270 again, but with only 3 lams.

these other limbs where .320 with the power lam.. I sanded down the glass to get .300 at the fade and narrowed the limbs "alot" to get it to the 70# it is now.. but now it is twisting.

So the saga continues......

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
Just to give my 2 cents... if it were me, I'd go with the power lams and leave out the tip wedges... when you try to static a recurve with tip wedges, then you run a greater risk of limb twist from loss of stability... especially if you do a straight taper of the limb.  

If it were me, and I were set on some stiffer tips, then I'd do the lay up with no tip wedge, see how it draws and then try a belly overlay, which will give some stiffening to the tips plus look really nice.  

Dave

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
Did I understand you to say you were going to leave the stack the same and drop the powerlam? Unless your powerlam is fairly long I would not expect to much of a drop in draw weight.  Assuming the the first set of limbs were what you wanted as far as profile etc but, to heavy.  Couldn't you just figure the amount you would need to reduce your stack and get closer to the desired draw weight?  New designs usually take a couple of trys to hit within the desired weight range.  Good luck and keep us posted.  It is going to make a great looking bow love the lams.

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2012, 11:47:00 PM »
I am with Jess on this one too.  You'll prolly drop 5 lb or less I would imagine by dropping the PL.

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2012, 12:55:00 AM »
Thanks guys for jumping in.

My power lam was 6" past the fade.  So measuring the end of fade is .300.  Then 4" up is .290.. another 4" up is .265.  My taper lam was .002.

That is why I was thinking just a straight .270.. by 8" up I would only be at around .235 or so.  

And thanks for the tip wedge tip...(pun?).. I was trying to just stiffen it a bit since it was such High poundage.. but I like the idea of the overlay if it is needed.

I will work on the actual math of it tomorrow at work.. but any more ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks for the compliment Jess.. the new veneer is going to be a bit different, but I think they will look just a great.  Can't wait to get this one done.  My forte' is 35 to 50lbs...  But a good learning experience.  And I have created some great forms, patterns and techniques thru this build.

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2012, 01:48:00 PM »
Here is some visual aid to hopefully help.  I am running the math and I am coming up with .280???  The only number that is a bit of a mystery to me is the .006 thickness per 5#.

With those measurements I am at 75# @ 30".  There is only about 5" between power lam and tip wedge.  So it is almost a full lam at that point.

Take a look guys and see what you think

Thanks

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
I have something just like that going on. My stats and limb profile nearly mirror yours.  Problems are nearly the same.

Not certain but I am thinking it is a combination of too narrow limbs,  too heavy limbs and long recurve ears.

My son is downstairs now cutting off the nocks and shortening the recurves, if for no other reason than for practice, and to see if it corrects anything.   I asked him to do that incrementally down to almost flatbow shape.

We already spent the money for the supplies.  Maybe we can learn something from this.

BTW, nice job.  Looks nice
ChuckC

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
There you go Chuck... post back here if it works..

I know this guy is going to shoot this bow like there is no other bow on the market, and he knows ALOT of people.. so I want to be perfect.

So after a long rest this week.. went back out and worked on it today.

Had the limbs and wedges ready.. got ready for glue up:

One limb out of the oven

The second limb is in the oven now!  I had time to work on the handle a bit more as well...

Will pull the second limb out and sand it tonight around 9pm or so.  Then tomorrow will get in lined up and start shaping.

After doing more math on another bow, my mistake and where I wanted to be... I did the stack at .255... The limbs will be wider through out the limb.. will start to narrow down about 1/3 down from the tip instead of 1/2 way down.  

I feel good about this one.. will keep you all posted

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
Got the other limb squared up.. then installed the pins, phelonic tips and bolt pads..

Then on to laser lighting and string back up... I do both.. don't need any mistakes

Everything looks good so far.

So tomorrow night will be trimming the limbs and cutting in the nocs.

Offline John Lipinski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »
Words fail to describe the bows that you churn out. Keep it up!

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2012, 12:51:00 AM »
Thanks John!  I appreciate the kind words.. and I do enjoy building these.

So tonight I got the limbs shaped up and some nocs filed in...

Got it strung up!

Things lined up really well.. just a tad more sanding and noc filing and she will be straight as an arrow!

I was able to sit down with my feet and pull on it.. sooooo much smoother and even.  I was able to pull it back 26" with the scale and it hit 55#.  So I will be well into the 60's when at 30".  I am stoked!

So more finishing work to do tomorrow night.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©