Author Topic: Gluing ebony and cocobolo  (Read 337 times)

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
Gluing ebony and cocobolo
« on: February 11, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
Going to be gluing up some BBOs in the coming weeks and was curious what you're opinion is on gluing up cocobolo and ebony.  I've heard some guys swear by cleaning with acetone and others claim it pulls more oil to the surface, inhibiting glue absorption.  Any advice?  

Thanks, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gluing ebony and cocobolo
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 11:18:00 PM »
I don't know.  Like you said some guys say to clean with acetone, some say not too.  I've made a couple bows with cocobolo an bacote in the risr.  I wiped them down with acetone.  I can feel the oil on the surface, but I don't after wiping down good with acetone.  So far I haven't had any glue failures.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 11:43:00 PM »
I always wipe down cocobolo with acetone.  I pretty much wipe down everything that gets glue on it with acetone.  Just gotta wait a little bit for it all to evaporate out.

Offline johnny girardi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »
I think a good course grind 36 grit or 40 grit.then brush off glue surface is good enough. clean surface. acetone is ok not a must.when using smooth on or epoxy the squeeze out will take on color of cocobolo and ebony I always felt this is good sign. never had failure I can think of.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 03:29:00 PM »
I have done it both ways never a problem.  I do strongly agree with the rough surface grind.  I am still on the fence about the acetone.

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by jess stuart:
I have done it both ways never a problem.  I do strongly agree with the rough surface grind.  I am still on the fence about the acetone.
Exactly what Jess said.  I 36 grit it and glue.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »
Never used acetone. no failures. And yes a ruffed up glue surface. Also give your wood time to climatize to your area. Be sure it is dry enough. I have glued up too soon after getting new wood to some I already had in stock--two different MCs. Just dont assume it is dry check it first.
High on Archery.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©