Author Topic: LIMB ALIGNMENT  (Read 333 times)

Offline nockinaround

• Trad Bowhunter
LIMB ALIGNMENT
« on: February 12, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »
Is there a fool proof method for aligning limbs on a take down recurve.  I usually mount the limbs then lay the bow on a flat surface, then measure the center of the bezels then go to the limb tips and mark the center of the limb which are the same as the center of the bezels. I then lay the riser block on its belly and run a string from the center of the limb tips to make sure everything runs through the center of riser. Next I lay a pattern on the limb and mark then cut out the limb. After cutting out my limbs I lay it on its side and measure the center of limb tips, the last bow I did this to ,the limb tips were a 1/4 inch off. checked my form which was good, cant figure out what went wrong.

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: LIMB ALIGNMENT
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 12:37:00 PM »
Lon, 1/4" off with a 25" limb means you were off by just over .5 degrees. .5 degrees is very hard to measure without some precise tools. My recommendation is to bolt your limbs to the riser straight out of the oven and use the laser line method to make your center line on the entire bow. and then place your templates over the center line.
I don't think this is problem you had but the solutions still may help..

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=007569
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: LIMB ALIGNMENT
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 01:34:00 PM »
That is what I do now.  I get the riser as perfect as I can.. then take the limbs out of the oven.. I do a little sanding of the excess glue.. bolt them up.  I bought a cheap laser from harbor frieght.. works great.  Laser line it and mark it.  I find if it is just a bit off I am still okay.. I just use the laser center and cut accordingly.
God gave you hands, use them

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©