3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Old Broadhead Help?  (Read 297 times)

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
Old Broadhead Help?
« on: February 23, 2008, 10:54:00 AM »
I was in an old sporting goods store and found some broadheads that have Cajun Archery on the box and BODKIN on the head itself, they are 125 gr and they are a gold color.
The lady at the store said they have been there for a long time, maybe twenty years or so.
There were about 10 boxes left of these.
Let me know what i have and if i should go back and get the rest.
thanks
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old Broadhead Help?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 11:01:00 AM »
You need to talk to Faulk( I think I spelled that right) You can also google bodkin and email them. I did this about my father's Bhs last year and they got back to me rather quickly.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »
thank you
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »
They're always worth something.  What's she asking?
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 12:43:00 PM »
a box of six heads are $10.

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 02:12:00 PM »
3 blades? straight edges? If so Whiffen Bodkin. A long time in production cheap head that was popular for small game and to a lesser extent deer. I think thye are still made.

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 03:02:00 PM »
The bodkins are best suited for small game and stumpin' IMHO. If you look close you'll see that each head is made from three stampings brazed/welded together. Because of the way they were made, each blade "edge" is really two pieces of metal rather than one solid blade. This makes them nearly impossible to sharpen adequately because there is frequently a void dead center on the edge between the pieces.

Other than the sharpening problem, I found them to fly well and hold up to quite a bit of abuse.

-Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »
There were several Bodkin models, the last one appeared about 1990 if I recall that one right. As already being said above, they are cheap, common and not rated high as collectibles, but may serve you well for your hunting!? So if you like them, get them and use them.

Unlike the M-A3 broadheads (which started as a Bodkin)  all following Bodkins only had a SINGLE layer of metal forming the cutting edge. Only the very tip being double thickness. So the sharpening is not a problem here.
------

spelling my name:
Well, I know you all would like to pronounce my name Faulk, but it is only Falk (german for falcon BTW) and the "a" is pronounced like the last one in "America" - and you all can do that, don't you?

:wavey:

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 08:47:00 PM »
Thanks for the correction Falk, I haven't see one of those heads in years. Glad to hear that the design was eventually improved.

-Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
Just to muddle things a bit more-The MA3 is still in production...and the laminate design actually causes fewer sharpening woes than some might surmise. The key on Delma and other laminate heads is to bias the bevels. It is really easy on the 2 blades but still doable on the 3 blade. Simply sharpen more on one side of the bevel than the other so that you move the edge all onto one piece of steel. You can make them shave.
 The Whiffen Bodkin is only double thick at the front but same trick....however the Whiffen Bodkins are rather soft and shaving sharp never seemed like the best goal to me-a good filed "feather" edge was more functional on them IMO.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©