Author Topic: osage ring violation?????  (Read 358 times)

Offline RingChaser

• Trad Bowhunter
osage ring violation?????
« on: February 13, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
I am trying to salvage an osage stave that was began last year. The question I have is about the back of the bow. The stave was layedr out and taken down to the stage where it is ready for floor tillering. The back of the stave was not chased correctly due to thin rings and a lot of character. I now have the back chased where one limb is at one ring and the other limb is at a different ring. The different rings come together at the middle of the non bending handle area. I plan to make this into a bow but I am wondering if anyone has ever done something like this or has any suggestions. Do you think that it will be ok since the handle area doesn't bend, or do you think it will break?

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: osage ring violation?????
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
Since its in the non bending handle I would say it would be ok. Ive never tried that before though. Slap some rawhide on it if you want to play it safe.

Offline Tommy Leach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »
I've seen a few built like that, they had no problem - but haven't done it myself. How thick are the rings? How thick would the limb be if you took off the extra ring? Bring it to OJAM and we'll help you finish it.
Tommy
Oklahoma Selfbow Society - Past President
OSS Founding Member

Offline RingChaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
I figured at least I would give it a shot. Ive seen bows with bark still on them in the handle area and I thought that it should probably work......

Offline RingChaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
The limbs are ready to start floor tillering and I had to make it to the rings it is at to be able to make it work.
When is ojam and where is it going to be? My son and I want to go. I should be able to make this bow by the end of this weekend and if all goes well, I will post it up.

Offline Tommy Leach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 07:17:00 AM »
OJAM is March 22-25 between Stillwater and Perkins.
Tommy
Oklahoma Selfbow Society - Past President
OSS Founding Member

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 07:46:00 AM »
Lapping the rings in the handle doesn't seem to present any problem. Will work just fine. Good luck.....Art

Offline RingChaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 11:14:00 AM »
Thanks everyone. Now all I need to do is make it work.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©