Author Topic: Blank wall needs a tillering tree  (Read 690 times)

Offline jtbluefeather871

• Trad Bowhunter
Blank wall needs a tillering tree
« on: February 15, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »
I just cleared off a wall in my shop to install a better tillering system.  Not that I mind pulling down by hand on my little tillering tree. But I'm making a couple of #50 ers for some buddies, and that gets old quick.  Any advise for design? Pulley systems? Etc?  Thanks
I learned "Semper Fi" as a Marine, and have lived it every day since.

Offline Buzz Killington

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Blank wall needs a tillering tree
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »
You need a double pulley. I'll do my best to describe it: Say you have a pulley fastened to the bottom of your tillering tree. You take your rope and fasten it beside/behind the pulley, say if your pulley is on an eye screw. but don't put the rope through it yet. then you bring the rope up through a pulley hooked onto your bowstring, then back down where it goes through the bottom pulley and out to you. Then when you pull on the rope you move half as much weight twice as far. Here's a link to wikipedia on the setup:
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_and_tackle
"Skill without creativity is craftsmanship, and gives us many useful items such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Creativity without skill gives us modern art."  -Tom Stoppard

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 01:20:00 PM »
Securely attach a wood block to the wall about eye level(to rest the bow on) and a pulley below it near the floor. Run a rope through the pully with a "S" hook on it to attach to the bow string. Bingo! you've got a tiller tree. There are other things you can add but this will do what you need it to do.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Nim-rod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
Double pully really makes it easy. I have my weight scale permanently attached to the rope and that attached to a clip (dog leash clip) and that attaches to the bow string. Scale marks all the way down with the 28" mark being bold to stand out.
Proud to be "regressing"

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 04:12:00 PM »
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
I have mine just like the diagram above. One piece of advice tho....make sure your pulley is far enough away from the wall that the scale isn't going to rub against the wall as you pull. When it rubs, you get a less than smooth action, wherein the scale jerks and bounces as it travels. Mine is on a post so im not worried about scuffing it up, but im sure it would destroy paint/drywall.

Scott
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline jtbluefeather871

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 04:29:00 PM »
Excellent.  I like the double pulley idea. Guess I'll go shopping for supplies. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »
Been thinking of building one with a hand winch (like on a boat trailer),  that way its easy to draw and can be locked in the drawn position quickly.

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 05:25:00 PM »
Glunt, it will be hard to exercise your limbs with a winch if making self bows. I use one pulley, and really don't see a need for two, but I only make bows up to 60 lbs. Don

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »
You will have to have twice as much rope with a double pulle. You are only pulling 50# to 60# at most usually so IMO a double pully is overkill.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jtbluefeather871

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
I'll try it with one first. Have to get my exercise somehow.  :)

Offline Buzz Killington

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »
Well, with a double pulley you can graduate to making warbows without needing new equipment.

OK, it may be overkill. But I like overkill   :deadhorse:
"Skill without creativity is craftsmanship, and gives us many useful items such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Creativity without skill gives us modern art."  -Tom Stoppard

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
Lol he is also apparently a fan of family guy, according to his name....wonder how many people on here get the reference...
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline Buzz Killington

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
Actually, you are the first person ever who has informed me you got the reference. This is my name on PC Gamer too  :)

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
osagetree has the right idea with the pulley system. its just like mine. i also have a 4" grid draw on the wall behind the shelf that my bow sits on. i think it helps me with my rookie tillering skill level.
Kevin Day

Offline Citycop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
On the diagram osagetree posted, where do you measure from for your draw length? From where the belly of the handle is going to be or where the back side of the handle. I was told the back side of the handle but it seems that this point may chance on every bow.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 11:20:00 PM »
Family Guy (its on at this very moment) was the first thing I thought of when I seen Buzz's name.  I love the show

I only have the one pulley too. I have horizonal lines longer than the bow drawn every two inches.  That helps a lot.

Glunt...I drilled 1/2 inch holes down my tree at an up angles and cut a 1/2 inch dowel rod a couple inches long and when I need to hold a bow at a certain draw I just plug the dowel in a hole and it holds the string.  That way to exercise it I can take the dowel out and its not in the way.  Hope that makes sence

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 11:24:00 PM »
Citycop I measure mine from the back of the bow too.  It probably does vary a little bit from bow to bow but it wont be much.  Not on mine anyway.  I try to make mine the same thickness at the riser.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
One pulley and a peg to lock in the string for gizmo checks.

Offline Buzz Killington

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 09:36:00 AM »
Look, it's the gizmo man! Making tillering easy(er) since whenever he shared the design of the tillering gizmo!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©