Author Topic: tool questions  (Read 747 times)

Online EHK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
tool questions
« on: February 17, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
Been slowly reading and studying up on bow builds with the hope of someday soon, attempting to build one. I know the rule of thumb with tools is to always buy the best you can, but realistically I'm not going to drop a grand on a band saw so I can attempt to build a bow or two.  How serious a machine do you need for form building?  Can I get away with a 1/3 HP Craftsman, or do I need something way more industrial strength?

Also, I don't have a spindle/drum sander or a drill press.  Can I get away with using a drill press with a drum sander attachment or is a dedicated sander a necessity?

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tool questions
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »
I made my first bow with a jig saw, skill 9" bandsaw and hand tools.  I put my electric drill in the vise with a spindle drum.. Get creative.

Now 4 years later after the darn bow bug hit me hard.. my shop has a spindle sander, drum sander, 12" bandsaw and ohhhhh so much more.  LOL.. It's out of control!!!!!!!!

But yeah.. go for it with what you have.. You will most likely get hooked then start yard sale'in.  I got my 12" bandsaw for 50 bucks!  

Good luck
God gave you hands, use them

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
I have bought a lot of my tools used off of craigslist.  I just look them over very closely and make sure they work like they are supposed to.  My last purchase was a nearly brand new Craftsman 12" bandsaw for $100.  My Ryobi belt/disc sander was $25, Craftsman drill press was $30 and was also practically brand new.  I have a limited bowmaking budget so I watch for deals.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Online EHK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 05:54:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, guys.  I've been watching craigslist for stuff, but every time I search for "band saw" I hget more hits for VanHalen tickets than anything else.  Go figure.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 06:33:00 AM »
Which tools you need depends somewhat on what type of bows you're going to be building. Selfbows? Backed bows? Laminated bows?

Online EHK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 07:11:00 AM »
Laminated bows.

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 08:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by EHK:
Thanks for the feedback, guys.  I've been watching craigslist for stuff, but every time I search for "band saw" I hget more hits for VanHalen tickets than anything else.  Go figure.
Don't leave a space.  Search for "bandsaw" or even "bansaw".  Sometimes people spell stuff wrong.  Keep watching.  I check the tool section every day for deals.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 08:51:00 AM »
EHK - I'm right there in the same boat with ya. I need a bigger bandsaw since I've only got a 10" Craftsman that's slam wore out. I use my upright drill press with a drum sander attachement (about $10 bucks at Lowes) that came with about 8 extra sleeves in different grits from 50 to 120 grit and it works like a champ. I want to slide over into laminated bows at some point, but my bandsaw issues are all that's stopping me. I've also got a wore out belt sander (table top model) that has proved to be a real necessity, which I'd also like to replace with a larger/better model.

Realistically speaking you can get by with as little as you feel comfortable with. Use what you have to work with and learn to use those tools well, then add to your arsenal of power tools as money and availability permit. That's what I'm doing.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Living_waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »
Best advice I was given was to forget the power tools, build a couple with hand tools first. This way you have no big investment in tool and most important you learn quickly what can be done with the wood with out screwing it up. I have ruined more bow blanks with a GOOD bandsaw and have yet to do that with hand tools. Knowledge and confidence makes even crappy tools workable.

Hey if you come across any van halen tickets that are not van Haggar or van cherone pm me. LOL
"Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'” Jesus

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »
A few days before Christmas I picked up a 14" ridgid band saw, a ridgid jointer, and delta dust collector for $280.  Had a lot of extra blades for the saw and add ons for everything.  Getting ready to go back to same fellow and get a ridgid table saw.  Just have to look hard or make good connections.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by beetlebailey1977:
A few days before Christmas I picked up a 14" ridgid band saw, a ridgid jointer, and delta dust collector for $280.  Had a lot of extra blades for the saw and add ons for everything.  Getting ready to go back to same fellow and get a ridgid table saw.  Just have to look hard or make good connections.
You Lucky Dawg!!   :clapper:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 07:15:00 PM »
If you are only planning on doing a couple of bows, use hand tools. A rasp, a surform, a hand saw, a drawknife that doubles as a scraper...the list can be as long as u want...I just read about a contest they have every year where the entrants build a bow with nothing but a HATCHET.

Scott
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 07:19:00 PM »
Oh and on craigslist the default search is "all for sale." Change it to "tools" and you will weed out all the hair band tickets.
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline Steve B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
What Living waters said.

I told a friend to keep his eyes open for a used 14" bandsaw.  He said he had one that I could have for nothing but the 'rubbers' kept coming off and he didn't need the saw anyway.  Its a Rigid also.
I took it, found the rubbers did indeed come off easily, and simply ran a strip of electrical tape on the wheel first then a light coat of rubber cement then the rubbers.  Problem solved...!

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
3x on the hand tools. You can get the tools needed pretty cheaply and be able to make good bows. I really enjoy the feeling I get by completing a bow by hand.  Of course these aren't laminated fiberglass bows. I usually make hickory backed osage bows. What more would you need?  :bigsmyl:

Offline Buzz Killington

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
Hey, I'd just like to jump in here with a question. Is there a good rasp out there that' less than $50? I just need to shape the fades on a couple of bows, so I'm not (at this point) planning to invest a large amount of money in tools I may only use a couple times. On the other hand, a Kobalt rasp from Lowes is like using a cheese grater on concrete. Has anybody found a happy medium?
"Skill without creativity is craftsmanship, and gives us many useful items such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Creativity without skill gives us modern art."  -Tom Stoppard

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
my nicholson#50 cost $50 canadian.
check out 3 rivers they are a sponsor here.
i nhave made many many bows with my rasp- i do think the torges bow rasp  from them might be a tad better as it has the front handle- that keeps yer mitts off the rasp teeth- it helps to keep em sharp longer- and more comfortable too.-
so now if i can just wear out my current rasp then i can justify buying one of those.probably another thousand bows and i should be there!

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
Kutzall makes a wicked rasp.It has carbide teeth that are like needles and they stay sharp and don't clog easily. They come in a few sizes and they don't cost all that much. They cut wood like nothing else, but be careful using them on bamboo. They can splinter it.I get them here in Canada at Lee Valley Tools. They also sell online and they have a good selection of other rasps and files at decent prices.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline Buzz Killington

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »
wood carver 2, is this the rasp you're talking about?  http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=52116&cat=1,42524
"Skill without creativity is craftsmanship, and gives us many useful items such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Creativity without skill gives us modern art."  -Tom Stoppard

Offline Steve B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 07:22:00 PM »
Buzz,

rasp  

But with handle and shipping you might be over budget...?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©