Author Topic: 2nd Recurve build, Same Form, Diff Shape - Binghams  (Read 518 times)

Offline wookiewebster

• Trad Bowhunter
2nd Recurve build, Same Form, Diff Shape - Binghams
« on: February 18, 2012, 02:38:00 AM »
Hey there!

I was curious about the claim in the Bingham's design plans that the bow press could do two versions of the same bow.  So after I built my first bow, I wanted to try the other riser style just to see. In case anyone else might be looking into getting into bow building, they might have some newby questions like I did, so I thought I would throw a few picts out and share.

I wish I could post more images here, but I don't like having to scale down all my photos and keep two versions of everything. I have a lot more pictures of both builds on my blog:
  Build 1  
  Build 2  

The first version of the 60" recurve that I built has the "open" design where the glass stops at the top of the fades. This is actually the "alternate" riser design according to Bingham's. The other style of riser has glass that covers the entire back of the bow from tip-to-tip. The riser shape is the main diffence in the bow's design.

The riser blocks start out as different shapes:

In order for the press to support both types, you have to create little curved wedges that can be screwed to the upper part of the form to create a proper curve shape. Since these are removable, it is convenient to switch between riser types.

Offline wookiewebster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2nd Recurve build, Same Form, Diff Shape - Binghams
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 02:39:00 AM »
Here is the bow and a comparison of the 2 side-by-side

Offline DGF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 04:48:00 AM »
Both builds look great!

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 08:03:00 AM »
Very nice.

Offline SteveD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »
Very Nice. Great Build Along. Great work

Offline JJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
They both turned out great, excellent work!
-Jay

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
Nice!! I may have to modify my old bingham form now.

Offline wookiewebster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Trux Turning:
Nice!! I may have to modify my old bingham form now.
OK, I am curious about this comment.  Do you mean adding the little conversion pieces to do both riser styles, or do you have an older style form (different limb shape,etc)? I am wondering if their plans changed much over the years.

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
Wookiewebester I would need to cut out the conversion piecies to make the winged riser version-nothing else to change-I like that old school looking riser!

Offline wookiewebster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Trux Turning:
Wookiewebester I would need to cut out the conversion piecies to make the winged riser version-nothing else to change-I like that old school looking riser!
Cool.  I have a pattern of the little piece that gets cut out, if you don't have one and want to use it for a reference. You can message me on here.

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 07:35:00 AM »
Very nicely made recurves, but one of them looks scary thin at the deep part of the throat?    :eek:   Bue--.

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 09:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Buemaker:
Very nicely made recurves, but one of them looks scary thin at the deep part of the throat?     :eek:    Bue--.
Agreed, but....

Since its Action-wood it still should be pretty strong.  If it a real heavy bow just be careful.

:thumbsup:

Offline wookiewebster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by Buemaker:
Very nicely made recurves, but one of them looks scary thin at the deep part of the throat?        :eek:       Bue--.
Yes, that is my very first bow and that is a total screw-up.  Like a bad haircut, I kept messing around until I took WAY to much off.  If it was a solid wood riser, it would have been scrap for sure. Luckily this laminated stuff is very strong. I have put a couple hundred arrows thru it with no problem. It actually shoots quite well. I was pleasantly surprised.

I was trying to model the shape after my Tamerlane, and I totally admit that I may have gone a bit too extreme with all the curves. The grip shape itself feels very comfortable in-hand while shooting. But that throat is just too darn narrow from belly-to-back.  I wonder if it would look too lame to try to wrap some leather around there or something?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©