3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cold Legs?????  (Read 1938 times)

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Cold Legs?????
« on: February 06, 2007, 08:03:00 PM »
OK, Maybe I'm a little "odd" but I'm wondering how many of you out there don't wear anything "extra" on your legs?????

My legs never get "cold". I never wear much more than a pair of denim jeans on my legs.If it's REALLY cold,I might wear a pair of wool pants (no longjohns). I wear several layers on my upper body,and a good hat,insulated boots,and if it's really cold I may wear wool socks instead of cotton.

I work for the RailRoad here in NY (at night) and it has been below zero all week with wind chills down to -20 degrees.

At work I wear.....A pair of jeans,a cotton T-shirt,a hooded sweatshirt,a heavy RR issued parka,gloves and insulated work boots.I understand I'm not "sitting still" but I am actualy warm and comfortable all night long.

I see some guys at work get REALLY bundled-up but I don't, Kinda makes me feel "differant" LOL

Anyone else dress like me?????
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cold Legs?????
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 08:12:00 PM »
Not as mush on the bottom as the top.  I wear a base layer sweatpants and wool pants when it gets cold (bellow 20) When it gets real cold (bellow 0) I add one more layer

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 08:12:00 PM »
Ain't that something...I can't wear anything heavy on my legs also...Kinda makes me overheat...You are not alone buddy...

..... mike .....
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »
very rarly do i wear long underwear, most often like you i'll wear wool pants of bibs. cold don't bother me much its the heat i can't stand!!!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 08:46:00 PM »
I usually through on my best deer scary boxers    :scared:   ,and a pair of sweat pants and my huntin pants. I've got to keep my hands warm and my head. If I can do that I can sit for awhile. Sometimes I wear two hats and alway have hand warmers goin in my pockets if its lookin to get cold. If you need a pair of them boxers I can post a pic of them on me  :scared:   ....oh man my computer screen just broke.
TGMM

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »
For me its my feet. I find if my feet are warm then so are my legs. If they are cold then I feel the cold in my legs.

I wear thinsulate lined jeans pretty much all winter whether at work or play. Almost never wear long johns. About all I add when I'm out which is almost daily is I'll put on my bunnys, pull on a hooded sweat shirt over my cotton T & over shirt, a wool hat & neck gaitor and my every day coat and I'll have no problem being out in 30 below stuff. If my feet and head/neck are warm then so am I. Its 3 above as I type this which is way warm for this time of year here.
John/AK

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 11:20:00 AM »
you guys are going to laugh at me then..I'm sitting here in Atlanta and its around 11am and the temp is in the high 40's...I have a space heater going right up under my desk cause my legs and feet are freezing, IN MY OFFICE!!!!!!!

I guess its what your body is used to.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 11:38:00 AM »
:thumbsup:

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »
I pretty much do like you. If it's cold I'll wear wool pants or flannel lined denims. Keep the top warm and a good hat.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »
I'd wear less on my legs but I don't want to scare you all off!!!    :scared:  

You are absolutely right Ray.  When I lived in the interior of Alaska, it would be -40 for a couple of weeks, then climb to 0, you would see everyone walking around with unzipped jackets and smiling....

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 11:50:00 AM »
Gee David.....I didn't know you were one of those "wearing shorts in the winter" type of NewEnglanders LOL    :bigsmyl:

Offline flatstick96

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »
Relatively speaking, you don't lose much heat through your legs.  Head, torso, and wrists are at the top of the list - keep those areas adequately insulated and you'll be well ahead of the game.  As for keeping feet warm, I've found it's as much about maintaining proper circulation as it is about insulation.  

For those of you who DO have trouble with cold legs, I'll throw this out there: back when I lived in central PA, I knew a few guys who would wear neoprene chest waders under camo coveralls - a little restrictive with respect to mobility, but also a very effective insulating layer that allows no wind to penetrate...
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

Offline Jon Powell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 06:57:00 PM »
Cold feet were always my biggest problem. I haven't had cold feet since I started spraying my feet with unscented anti perspirant before putting on socks. They stay dry and warm.
"While beauty blooms on every side, mercy is unknown and death never sleeps in the wilds."  Howard Hill

"The first thing is to overcome fear. When that is accomplished everything takes care of itself." Jeff Cooper

Offline northern fisher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »
I can't speak for anyone else but here in northen ontario we have had between -30C and -41C over the last week(with wind chill).So if I'm sitting and my pants are tight to my legs ,give me my carhartts.
 By the way,even though this is a trad site,if any of you guys would ever like to come up and fish the hard water feel free to get in contact with me.
I'm not an outfitter, you would just be a guest at my house.
I bet I can make a lot of you change your minds about longjohns and coveralls.
BBBBRRRRRRRRRR -40

THE FISHING IS AWSOME
If it wasn't for Hillary Blackburn I may have never found my way to the woods and the water.I miss you Puppy.Love from your grandson.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »
I generally handle the cold fairly well, but not anywhere near as well as I did 30 years ago.  Age has a lot to do with it.  I used to run around in jeans and sweatchirts and no hat in freezing weather in my 30s, but not in my 60s.  Now I wear a hat.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 09:31:00 PM »
Insulated loin cloth flip flops and wool socks and a tee shirt  LOL Depends on if I am sittin or movin. Dont need much movin be settin About three layers 30 and below.
High on Archery.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 09:37:00 PM »
It is what you are used too. I prepare for hunting season by sitting in my underwear on my back porch in early Oct. It can get as cold as 15-20 at night, by the time hunting season rolls around I can dress fairly light and be warm. Chuck by the way, you are a lot odd!   :bigsmyl:
Shawn

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 04:58:00 AM »
I like flannel lined pants, i wear them to work every day when the weather turns in the fall. I wear them hunting and when i shoot my bow outdoors, they keep me comfortable in a wide range of temps. When i bow hunt i always wear long johns i just vary the type of material that they are made of depending on the weather.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 06:44:00 AM »
I usually wear super thin "active weight" long johns down below, even though I might be wearing heavy weight stuff up top. I don't think I have ever been froze out due to my legs being cold, but a sharp breeze coming up my leg is bothersome.I would bet in a treestand super cold situation, cold legs would lead to cold feet pretty quickly.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2007, 08:11:00 AM »
Thanks for the invite northern fisher but you'd have to slide me around because I'd have so many clothes on I wouldn't be able to move!!

It's 21 degrees and windy here this morning and I put on my heavy coat this morning and my mustache froze when I was loading the wood furnace.

Dennis

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©