Author Topic: Designing a recurve ! (Build along) KABOOOM!!!  (Read 2033 times)

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Designing a recurve ! (Build along) KABOOOM!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 03:07:00 PM »
Mine start at 1.75 and depending on which one I'm building end up at 1.60. I don't usually do a straight taper from the fades to the tips either.

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 01:06:00 AM »
Alright... I got a little bit of shop time in today so I started on the riser for this recurve I am planning on building. I am going to try an "I-beam" riser and I choose mesquite and bloodwood for the riser. This is what I got done today...

I will post more as I get it done but I think this is going to be a slow build.
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
Alright I had to modify my lamination maker to go from 1.5" to 1.75" but I did get 12 blank laminations cut out of some bamboo flooring and I got my riser all squared up...

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 12:13:00 AM »
Alright I feel like I was getting ahead of myself on this build so I went ahead and finished up the design. I will take this PDF down to a print shop in the morning and get it printed out in full scale. The top object is profile of the limb that I will cut out and laminate and use as a guide for cutting out my limbs, the riser pattern will act as a template and the lower profile will be the pattern for my form.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 12:48:00 AM »
tell us alittle more about your lam maker.
looks interresting.
watching this build with interest

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 01:15:00 AM »
Just got to thinking... I use the air hose method and I am set up for 1.5" wide longbows. Has anyone had success in using the longbow hose for the wider recurve form? It is only 1/4" bigger so I don't think it should matter too much...

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2012, 12:26:00 AM »
Alright, I  made it back out to the shop today and got some more work done on this recurve.

I went down to the local print shop and got my plans printed out full size.

I then cut out the shape for the form and cut a piece of corrian to size for my template.

After I attached the template to the corrian, I then cut out the corrian with the band saw.

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2012, 12:36:00 AM »
I then did some finishing work on the corrian template with some sandpaper to make sure I have a nice flat surface where the limb will overlap the riser and also took out all the major imperfections .

I then transfered the template to the LVL and also cut it out on the band saw with about a 1/8" extra.

I then used the router with a flush/ trim bit to match the form to the template.

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2012, 12:38:00 AM »
I did not get the form finished , but here is where I left off. I plan on getting back to it Thursday.

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2012, 03:57:00 AM »
Looking good so far, but the suspense is killing us. How about taking a couple of weeks off from your studies so you can finish it. Bue--.    ;)    ;)

Offline Sharpend60

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2012, 01:25:00 PM »
Looks great.
I've made a hand full of self bows, now I'm think of trying my hand at a FG recurve.

BTW
I'm also in New Mexico.
We aught to gather up a group and have a Pow Wow.

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
Alright I did some random work today on building my first recurve. I finished my bamboo .001/in taper sled for a 1.75" laminations.

I fadiddled with my wedge maker to allow it to make 1.75" wide wedges.

I also took that print out of the riser and taped it to my riser so I could start to finalize my riser design. I like how the back of the riser looked so I cut that out and I will be playing around the next few days to finalize the belly side of the riser.

By the way this bow is my first recurve and sort of a test bow so I am attempting to use as much scrap wood as I can to make it. Currently the riser is mesquite and bloodwood with a bubinga overlay on the back of the riser and the wedges will be padauk. I am thinking bamboo and black glass for the limbs.

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2012, 11:22:00 PM »
Looking great!keep us posted!

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
Can't go wrong with black glass and bubinga, great combination.  Looks like a winner for sure.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »
Nice Ralph...  I like the palm swell on the riser, looks real comfortable and a good sized sight window. I shoot longbows and can't get used to the massive risers on most 3pc curves. Yours looks like it will be lean and mean!!!
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »
Looking good!
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
I really like to look of your riser, nice clean lines.  Your attention to detail is amazing.  Looking forward to seeing it all finished up....Dan

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2012, 01:43:00 AM »
Alright, so I had some free time today to work on the riser... I now wish I would have called a few buddys over, drink some beer and play on the slackline.
 I decided I would cut the riser shape out close to what it looked like in the previous pictures and after cutting the top portion out I realized that was a huge mistake! It only lift me just over 1.2" of thickness on the riser ( I am surprised I did not cut into the double threaded insert). Here are some pictures on how disproportional this riser now looks but I think I will be able to fix it with some luck...

I think I am going to sand it off to the black line I drew in the first picture and then glue on a few layers of 1/8" strips to get it back to operating thickness.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2012, 05:39:00 AM »

Not sure why I am forwarding this picture of the riser on my Jon Gharing built bow, but I hope that it may give you an idea for the build up of yours.

I once handed this bow to a fellow in a motorcycle shop, he looked at the contour of the riser and pointed out something about the design that made it special (wish I could remember what he said). When I asked him if he was an engineer he got a funny look on his face and asked me how I knew that. I replied that once before I handed a bow to a guy who immediately noticed the i-beam construction, and he turned out to be an engineer.

BTW the materials in this riser are macassar ebony and the stripe is padauk. The limbs are static tip , bamboo under clear glass.

Hope you find this useful or at least interesting.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2012, 01:19:00 PM »
Dave, that is a great looking riser! I dont know if that will help me salvage my riser but it does give me some great ideas for the final "ascetics" shaping. Thanks for the great picture.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©