Author Topic: Designing a recurve ! (Build along) KABOOOM!!!  (Read 2032 times)

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Designing a recurve ! (Build along) KABOOOM!!!
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
Sorry to see that...happens to all of us unfortunetly.   I agree with the I beam post and maybe some glass overlays on the back of the riser to help stiffen it up on the next one.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
I was thinking the I beam looked mostly useless as well since most was cut out but I have no firsthand experience with such builds yet. The good news is you have a good set of limbs & the experience to do a better riser now. Thanks for the build along, hoping to see the finished product.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2012, 11:00:00 PM »
Have to agree with Brad.  Had a riser or two break years back, began to use the left over glass as overlays on the back of the riser.  No problems since.  Too bad it was a great looking bow, but not a total loss just need a new riser.

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2012, 01:25:00 PM »
Sorry to see the end of such a nice bow. I know the feeling all to well.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
Well I was very angry when the riser snapped but with a day to cool off I am looking at it in a new light. This is my last semester of school and I was starting to get behind on some of my school work because I was spending too much time in the shop and not enough time on my school work. Now I can spend the next 2 weeks working on school with little distractions.I also has never had a bow fail before it ever shot an arrow and is a humbling experience that I think I also needed to get back into the mindset of why I make bows. I make bows because I love the woodworking and the challenges of designing and now I got a new challenge. On a $ standpoint I would much rather the riser fail than the limbs, I had very little $ in that riser and all the hardware is salvageable... so I am not going to let this get me down, I will start over and make improvements on what I have learned. Thanks again for all your support and look forward to the next attempt!
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2012, 02:20:00 PM »
Good attitude! Here's a picture of some failed limbs that found an alternate use. Got to keep a positive attitude with this stuff.    :knothead:    :archer:

But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
Galen, That is awesome!!! I was thinking of turning my broken riser into a handle for my home made beer tap refrigerator. I think I am going to try to salvage the limbs.
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
Man Ralph that bow was coming together, sorry buddy ...  That riser turned into one heck of a teacher though. I know you'll nail the next one...
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »
Ralph, sounds like you have your priorities right.  As long as we learn from our mistakes,it makes us better bowyers.  Keep up the good work, at school and the shop and good luck at both....Dan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©