Author Topic: lam grinder  (Read 688 times)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
lam grinder
« on: March 04, 2012, 11:49:00 PM »
what do you guys think of this, one might be further ahead buying a good used drum sander for close to the same money- but it is kinda cool
 http://www.vanda-layindustries.com/html/the_hog_sander.html

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: lam grinder
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
I agree- buy a good drum sander- they have more uses than just making lams.

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 01:48:00 PM »
I like the unit.. small and compact.  But it is just to much money.  

I bought my Craftsman 18/36 drum sander for 400 bucks off craigslist.  And now I use it for so much more than just lams.

If the unit was around 100 bucks, I would consider it for just running lams in a hurry.
God gave you hands, use them

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 07:36:00 PM »
Awesome.  If you have a little metal working skills and tool access, this could be a fun little project!  I think I might steal some of these ideas and try to make myself one!

Thanks
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
So all I have to do is attach a drum to my electric motor and build an adjustable table under it? Gottit.
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline shongexoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 12:29:00 PM »
I built my own lam grinder using a three in. rubber drum and a 1/2 horse reverseable motor.
it works ok, but would like to find a better drum. the rubber drum is not very round and loses shape. but it does work.
any one know where i can get a better drum?

Offline Living_waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »
Built mine out of an old drum sander, one piece of advice. They need a long feed bed and outlet bed for accurate lams with out dips.
"Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'” Jesus

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
what do you aall think of this sanding drum from woodcraft.I was thinking about building a grinder myself.....Sanding Drum, 3" x 3" x 1/2"
Item #06P51

Offline shongexoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
i have a fairly long infeed and not to long out feed, but dipping is minimum. even hand speed and light cuts towards the desired  thousand mark.
 i like the looks of that drum from woodcraft,not sure about the soft rubber ,that is on top of the solid core?
i might have to try it.

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 07:44:00 AM »
i built my own drum by laminating 3/4" ply disks--cut w/a hole saw--then cutting the last 2 disks center out[w/a 2" hole saw]centering a steel pulley in the hole and pouring epoxy around it and baking it---then fit it on your motor-mount the motor and drum on your home made thickness grinder --then run a square/true block of hardwood w/40g sand paper glued to it -thru too true your home made drum--its amazing how nice and true you can get it-when nice and round you glue the sand paper too the drum-then get to grinding-don't get greedy [take too much at once]and the machine will treat you good--also don't forget dust collection! it makes wood flour!!
Mike

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
ok, we need to see some pics of that set up bamboo!!!!
i get how you made the roller, but what size motor, and how did you build your adjustable height system

Offline shongexoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
hey fujimo, post a pic of that grinder and i will post a pic of mine..

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
here goes- now i have shown you mine.....

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
Not a bad looking setup.

A couple of question though,,, do you have to pull the lams through??? I don't see any type of conveyer/drive belt.

If so do you have a problem with dips in the lams if the steady movement is stopped? I know I've had this happen when the drive/conveyer motor on my grinder had a bad wire connection causing the motor to stop.

Troy

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 12:37:00 PM »
yup, i think this is a  "you feed sytem". note, i dont have one of these- was just looking at it- and giving the whole process some thought.
sometimes its just easier to buy lams from a reputable dealer- like Kenny- now i would have source the wood, to get the wood, rip it, grind it... blah blah blah.
which really doesnt make sense- but then none of us wannbe bowyers are sensible anyway!!!!
besides i could buy a lot of perfect lams frm kenny for 2- 300 dollars this set up would cost me- not considering the wood or the shipping- and it helps keep him in business too- jus my thoughts!!- we will see!!

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
mines far more primitive than that!!--nice job on that !--heres mine any way-----its built on top of a former shaper--

the dust cowl is up

otherside--now you've seen my spindle sander too

table -feed side

table screw adjuster

i gets the job done- and is alot more accurate than i would have thought--just don't get greedy!!
Mike

Offline shongexoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
Hey nice job, does your spindle work good for doing risers, i am using the same kind of drum an doing it in my drill press. is that a electric fan to suck out dust?

Offline shongexoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
Hey guys , i was going to post a picture, but what i thought was the tag didnt work.

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
left click-the img code-then right click-then copy-then paste--
no fan--delta dust sucker[not pictured]box between the 2 drums works as a plenum--and the spindle works pretty good for risers-had to fool w shims to get it square
Mike

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »
I've posted these pictures before lam grinder I made last year.  The idea, though, was taken from the machine Fujimo originally posted about.  Works great.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©