Author Topic: quick question about bows with reflex  (Read 308 times)

Offline JGL

• Trad Bowhunter
quick question about bows with reflex
« on: March 05, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
so far all my bows have been straight limb longbows but i have a hickory bow with about 1 and a half inches of reflex glued in .What if any differences are there in tillering a bow with reflex. bow is 66 in tip to tip 8 inch handle 2in wide from fade to 10 in from tips tried to model this one from tbb1. put in the reflex to accommodate for a long draw.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: quick question about bows with reflex
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 07:34:00 AM »
Where's the reflex glued in at? Out of the handle or near tips?

Out of the handle reflex tiller for greater bend mid-limb. and reflexed tips more inner limb. I would shorten tip taper back to 14" instead of 12" for that length bow to help reduce tip weight.

Offline JGL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
sorry it is glued in reflexed tips so you would start the taper at 14 in and go to tips thanks

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 07:27:00 AM »
What is your draw length JGL? You're getting into bow length that going to require a little longer stiffer outer limb IMO. So 14" then to tips is where I would start myself.

Offline JGL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 11:56:00 PM »
draw length for this bow will be about 30 in. longest I have tillered to so far is 28 I have adjusted the taper from 14 in to the tips and have heat treated the belly hoping that with the reflexed tips will allow for the longer draw.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »
30" is asking a lot from a 66" TTT length bow. Especially using a retangular limb design. But you can probably do it if your wood is sound and your tillering good. Good luck.

Offline JGL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 02:01:00 AM »
well the grain is good not great i'm gonna back with linen. if it fails i will try again

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©