Author Topic: re-backing into r/d? (It worked!)  (Read 367 times)

Offline Kyle Patterson

• Trad Bowhunter
re-backing into r/d? (It worked!)
« on: March 07, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
Hey guys,
So i was shooting in the HBI that i had just about finished up (just needed some poly and i was gonna call it done), when the hickory backing broke and lifted on one limb. On further inspection, the ipe was fine, just the backing was damaged. So i carefully sanded off the whole backing and glued on a new one. Only this time i did what i had wanted to do in the first glue up and glued it reflex-deflex. Im not sure how this will turn out, but can anyone see anything inherently wrong with this idea? Thanks again..

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: re-backing into r/d? (It worked!)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
Nothing inherently wrong...the only issue I can see is that whatever issue caused the backing to lift the first time may still be there and you may have some deja vous.

Any idea what caused it the first time? If so, did you take any steps to prevent it this time?

Did you get any pics of the break? Where was it?
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
Glue or wood failure??  Did the backing lift or was it ripped apart?

Offline Kyle Patterson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 11:06:00 AM »
It was a glue failure, there was one spot that was squeezed a little dry. Anyways, i took the bow out of the clamps last night, and got it cleaned up and re-tillered. It turned into a pretty heavy R/D, almost a hybrid. The last backing i used was a little under 1/8" and the bow came in at about 35# when all was finished up, so i used a slightly thicker backing (3/16") and that along with the reflex brought it up to about 45# at 28". And man! this thing shoots now! i cant believe the difference in how quick it is! i have about 50 arrows through it now and i feel safe to go ahead and finish it up. This was a good expirement i think!

heres some pics

Offline kentowl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 03:07:00 PM »
Glad it worked out for you, Kyle - but do you think you might have some hinging starting just outboard of the fades? Might be worth giving up some of your new power to weaken the limbs out past those hinging areas.

Are you familiar with the "tillering gizmo" to help identify over- and under-bending limb areas?
kentowl

1968 Lee/Wings Chaparral 62",47#@28
2012 Sycamore/Ash Mollegabet 68" 53#@28
Cedar & Spruce

Offline Kyle Patterson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »
Ya i have a gizmo, but didnt think it would work on the R/D. If you look at the brace pic vs the draw pic, i dont think its a hinge, just the already deflexed area bending a little more. I know most are more knowledgeable than I. Let me know what you think. I tried to follow the "every part bending evenly" theory.

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
The lighting and angles are messing with me. In the first pic it looks like the reflexed area is a different length on the left than on the right....then in the pic where its leaned against the door, the top limb looks stiff....then in the full draw pic, im in agreement about the hinges, but im really new too.

Im happy you made a shooter out of it instead of just trashing it.
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline Kyle Patterson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
Haha i know, the pics arent the best, it is the angle in the first shot that makes it look shorter (im actually standing to the left of the bow with the bow on the floor, holding my camera over it so the camera wasnt quite centered... if yo know what i mean), and my radius of my bends may not be quite equal, but I tillered it ous as best i could and its shooting now. We'll see how it lasts, but right now im about 100 arrows deep with her and shes still bending the same. I think im gonna leave it alone now and maybe get some more experience before i try another R/D. tonight i glued added the riser to the non bending handle and glued on the tip overlays. Gonna sand it up tomorrow and put a finish on it. Ill post some pics when im all done.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »
Nice save
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©