Author Topic: What Tools for Making Bows? (newbie)  (Read 463 times)

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
What Tools for Making Bows? (newbie)
« on: March 08, 2012, 11:48:00 AM »
I'm just starting to get into traditional archery. But, I've been looking at all your beautiful bows, and as a guy who always thinks, "I can make my own!" I was wondering what all goes into it.

Don't get me wrong, I know I wouldn't be able to just jump in and make bows like you guys. But, what kind of tools/setups are required to make, for example, laminated longbows?

This is just a general question. It would be a little while down the road if I ever did try my hand at it. And if I ever did, it would just be for myself, not as a business.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Offline shongexoe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What Tools for Making Bows? (newbie)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 12:37:00 PM »
start reading bow build alongs here. also start reading primitive archer. and get a book , by glenn st charles , billets to bows.
and then just ask these bowyers here , this is a great place to meet very knowlegable people. not to mention nice trad people

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 12:46:00 PM »
# 1 Bandsaw
# 2 Belt or Drum Sander

Offline Nim-rod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »
Here is a list of what I use and would consider minimum.
1. A hatchet. Good to cut trees & saplings down and also for roughing out staves in the begining. (I use a chainsaw for trees when I can)
2. Wedges. Used to split the staves. I have plastic purchased ones but home made wooden ones are fine too.
3. A drawknife. I use mine to further rough out a stave and also right into the fine work as well. I often use it as an initial scraper.
4. A scraper/knife. I use a very heavy folding knife to scrape and tiller peeling off nice ribbons of thin wood. I also use utility razor blades for real fine scraping.
5. A rasp and round file. Great to form handles and work on a knot and also to cut the string grooves (round file).
6. Sandpaper. Various grits but I use 100 grit the most. I get the bulk packs of sheetrock paper and use a holder made for the sheets.
7. Stain and sealers. Tung oil, true oil, spar urethane, deft. I've tried most and now use the spar thinned with mineral spirits.
8. Tiller method. Several things can be used and can be made cheaply with a 2x4 or 2x6. Most people would agree that making one with a pully is the way to go so you can stand back and really view the tiller and exersize the limbs. Mine has two pullys to further reduce effort and I have a cheap luggage scale on it to see the weight all the way through the process.

You can probably buy all this stuff for $150 or less if you can scrounge some things you already have. To me this is the minimum for building self bows all the way through. You can suffer through with less here and there but if you continue to build this is the minimum you will end up with. Additional materials needed would be String material, String jig, leather or jute for handles, glues (wood and super glue) and of course arrows.  One important thing is where you live and what types of wood are availible to you.
Oh and a few Bow building books!
Proud to be "regressing"

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »
A rasp is indispensable for any wood bow.

A four way rasp/file with a flat and half round side is really handy.

A surform rasp is nice, but not necessary.

Some sort of saw....doesn't have to be a band saw, but they sure are nice.

Clamps!!! Both for gluing, and for holding your wood while you work if you don't have a vise.

Scrapers

Draw knife

Round file for nock grooves.

Yardstick, both for measuring and as a straight edge. I like metal ones, cause u can clamp them along contours like on an R/D bow.

I did 90% of the work on my first board bow with nothing but a 4 in 1 rasp.
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 02:59:00 PM »
Are you guys talking about self bows?

I'm more interested in laminated bows. It seems like there would be some more involved in laminated bows, but I don't know.

I'm going to look up some videos when I get home, but they frown on that at work.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 03:07:00 PM »
Im currently building a hickory backed Ipe and only using rasps, files, and sandpaper. (Pencils and straight edge of course.)

All wood, but "laminated" nonetheless.

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 03:12:00 PM »
Well, maybe I'm over-complicating it in my head then. I figured there would be more power tools - planers, sanders, etc. Maybe presses..........I don't know.

From the sound of it, I have 90% of the tools needed. I even have a small belt sander, but I think I need a new motor for it.

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »
You can get as technological as you would like. It all depends on what your definition of "need" is.

Band saws, spindle sanders, lamination grinders, planers, etc....these all make things really nice, but do you "need" them? Probably not unless you are doing this for a living and you need to shave time off of your manufacturing process in order to meet high customer demand.

I like hand tools because of the level of control they offer. Its hard to go too fast with sandpaper. On the other hand, sanding a 1/4"x66" piece of hickory down to 1/8" with 60 grit and a sanding block is labor intensive to say the least.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 04:41:00 PM »
You might want to detail whether you're talking about laminated wood bows or laminated wood/fiberglass bows.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Grey Taylor:
You might want to detail whether you're talking about laminated wood bows or laminated wood/fiberglass bows.

Guy
Wood/fiberglass

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
There are lots of builds here, here is one of em, there are some more complete, do a search!

You'll find mucho info!!

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=001165;p=1
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
The very best way to get into building laminated bows is to get with Kenny M or Binghams, both will supply you with everything you need to build your first bow and it will be a shooter with a proven design. Better yet is there is someone in your area that is alredy building laminated bows and would mentor you, that would be great. Where are you located in Alabama??

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 11:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by JamesV:
The very best way to get into building laminated bows is to get with Kenny M or Binghams, both will supply you with everything you need to build your first bow and it will be a shooter with a proven design. Better yet is there is someone in your area that is alredy building laminated bows and would mentor you, that would be great. Where are you located in Alabama??

James
I'm in Huntsville.

And thanks, guys. It's just a vague and distant idea at the moment. Like I said, I'm just easing into traditional archery and am currently deciding on and saving my pennies for my first long bow. So, I have a long way to go before I should consider making one.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©