Author Topic: Sanding  (Read 259 times)

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
Sanding
« on: March 15, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
How muck tillering can be done with a orbital sander on a Osage stave bow?
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sanding
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »
How patient are you?
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 11:20:00 PM »
Never tried, but I would think the problem would come in knowing how much more you are sanding one limb than the other.

I know that if I just want to reduce weight evenly I can take 10 scrapes off of each limb with a scraper, but I don't know how to gauge that with an orbital.

The same holds true if I want to take more off of one than the other, say 10 scrapes on top and 15 off of the bottom limb. Im not sure how I would do that with a sander.

All that being said, im not very good at tillering yet, so other guys can probably get pretty dang accurate with a sander.
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 11:48:00 PM »
If you've got a pair of scissor, a pocket or hunting knife, etc. laying about the house, you've got a ready-made scraper that will work MUCH faster with more control and less dust than a sander.  In fact, knock the rivet or screw out of the scissors to separate the blades.  Now you've go two scrapers...you'll be making osage curls in no time!
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 12:18:00 AM »
I agree with the other guys. A scraper is much faster and you have control of how much wood you're takin off. I use a palm sander for the last couple of inches but thats about it. By that time the bow is pretty much tillered anyways and im just smoothing everything out and knocking off any tool marks. I still use a hunting knife and a pocket knife for all my scraping.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 05:58:00 AM »
I use an orbital sander as I get closer to final tiller. Use it   like the scraper, counting passes up and down the limb. It leaves the belly nice and smooth.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 08:26:00 AM »
I have about 5" to go and I have been using a pair of scissors and I am trying to have less set when finished. It seems when I get this close is when I start getting set, I exercise the limbs well after scraping.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 08:52:00 AM »
I don't know your level of experience. For your first few you are better off using hand tools. I've known some excellent bowyers who've used random orbit sanders. Jawge

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©