Author Topic: First All wood laminate bow coming together!!AND KABOOM!!!  (Read 364 times)

Offline Schmidtster

• Trad Bowhunter
First All wood laminate bow coming together!!AND KABOOM!!!
« on: March 18, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
Hey just getting ready to glue my first multi lam bow. I've got two maple lams one 3/16 backing and 5/16 belly, going to make a zebra powerlam 1/4"x12 or 14" havent decided exact lenght yet its just to keep my handle from popping off. my form is a simple c clamp form, my tips will end up 1/4 inch in front of my back and midlim about even with the throat of my grip... just wondering what you all think? oh and its 60" TTT.
Nathan

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First All wood laminate bow coming together!!AND KABOOM!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
That might be a lot of powerlam for a 60" bow. Hope your draw length is under 28". If not, your not going to have much limb to work with. I built a 66" and used a 14" powerlam and it worked good. I'm going to do a 62" and am unsure, I can pull it off, with a 10" powerlam. I will need a perfect tiller. Good luck with your build. Don

Offline Schmidtster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
no my draw length is 28!! mabye I should either blend in my handle or go to 8" or so powerlam. Also I was thinking of glueing the handle on after the lams are glued together, I think I've seen this done before.OR mabye for the 35 bucks or so its gonna cost I'll just go for it, document and take pics and let you guys know how it goes.
Nathan

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »
I would go with a powerlam or you could have a problem keeping your handle on. I would go with a 4" handle with 1 1/2" fades and a 10" powerlam. If you get a good tiller, it should work. If not, as you said,your out 35.00 so just go for it. You can glue to handle on before or after. If you are putting some reflex in at glue up, I would put the handle on after. I think Roy was the one who pointed out the handle area will need to be flattened after gluing in reflex. I had to flatten mine as it had a crown after glue up. Let us know how it comes out. Don

Offline Schmidtster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »
well i just went and did some measuring decided I'm gonna go with a 8" powerlam, cause I broke the 10" and cut it down haha. still going to use the 4" handle that you suggested Don and give er a go!!! but it takes me a while to get these things done and my glue wont be here till Tuesday. I'll try to keep everyone updated. I also ordered a knife blank to make a matching knife but I guess thats for another forum. Thanks alot everyone!!!!
Nathan

Offline Schmidtster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 11:07:00 PM »
Hey I did a dry run of my glue up after feathering the edges of my powerlam a little better she's looking like she's ready for glue, oh and 4 more c clamps to fill those gaps. I was also wondering about hom much pressure do you put on them cause I know too much and you'll starve it of glue? anyway heres some pics

Nathan

Offline Schmidtster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 11:20:00 PM »
Alright she's all glued up added 8 more clamps instead of 4 haha and now I'll just leave it sit till wednesday I'll have time to get at it again and see how it turns out.
Nathan

Offline Schmidtster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 12:24:00 AM »
Hey Just thought I post a couple more pics of my progress. cut my limbs. clamped it to a block gave er a few bends no popping so I'm going on to gluing on tip overlays and fit and glueing the handle.(note my other new toy the bow is sitting on)

IMG]http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb342/naschmidt18/bowhandle.jpg[/IMG]
Nathan

Offline Schmidtster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 12:26:00 AM »
sorry thats too big!!!!

Nathan

Offline OzarkMatt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
Nice work so far, keep it up! Next time you make one (there will be a next time  :p ), you should put a little more reflex into the limbs. As is, your tips are just even with the handle. This won't cause a problem though so don't worry about it. Keep us posted!
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others - Thomas Jefferson

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 10:58:00 AM »
Looking good so far!  :thumbsup:  
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline Schmidtster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 12:20:00 AM »
So starting the tiller but I'm pulling about 10-12 inches and the left limb is straightening right out. if I weaken the inner third closest to the handle a little will that bring back the R/D shape? Or will it just bend more closer to the handle and stay straightened out?
Nathan

Offline Schmidtster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »
So I ended up weakening everything a little had it bending nicely to brace height. pulled it another 6 inches and kablamo!!! right limb blew apart right across the glued in R/D.  IN hindsight i needed to get the bend in the limb bending more evenly instead of kinda just hinging on itself....should have known. so for the next one I've decided to salvage the zebra from the broken one. take down the backing to 1/8 instead of 3/16. take the center out of my form and do a mild R instead of a R/D and see how it turns out.
Nathan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©