Author Topic: Bamboo Bow Riser Suggestions  (Read 278 times)

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
Bamboo Bow Riser Suggestions
« on: March 22, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
I built my first bow a few years ago (reflex/deflex longbow) and for a few reasons, the bug has come back.  This time, I'm hoping to go a little more "natural".  I'm planning on a bamboo back and belly with bamboo tapers to make tillering easier.  I want to put in a riser block, which leads me to my request for your thoughts...

I'm thinking of getting enough material to make at least 2 and possibly 3 of these bows, and am considering trying to make one of them a takedown (2 piece, sleeve style).  First off, anyone have thoughts on a takedown not being a good idea?  Oh, and for the bow, I'm going to put in a fair bit of reflex at the tips, making it more like a recurve than a longbow.

Now for the riser material....  I want it really strong and I like Cocobolo, but frankly-I think I want to stay away from the resin filled woods that can make finishing and gluing somewhat annoying.  Any ideas on really dense, strong wood that would look nice with the bamboo and not have the resin problems?  I actually considered black palm, but figured I'd have to send it off to be stabilized to get anywhere near the strength it should have, as well as not splinter out when working.  But how cool would that be?  Grass bow, with grass riser, and make some grass arrows   :)  .

I've thought of Osage (haven't worked with it before)-I like the color when it darkens, but was kind of looking for something that might accent the bamboo nicely, too...

Anyway, your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bamboo Bow Riser Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »
IPE...........

Super strong heavy wood and I have never had a problem with finish. Maybe a riser built from bamboo with an accent or an I beam? Or could mix the two.

There are so many posiblities, have fun.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline milehi101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
I have built a 3 piece takedown with Osage wood and bamboo limbs.  It was a very nice bow.  I also built one with Charcoal action wood and bamboo limbs and it was a very nice contrast.

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 04:19:00 PM »
Thanks for your suggestions.  I've continued looking around and came across Acacia...  It seems there are a fair amount of species, from really blonde to dark.  From what I can tell, it's really hard, been used for bows in the past, and if I'm lucky, maybe I can find a nice color with good grain pattern?  Guess we'll see how it all goes...

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©