Author Topic: gluing on snake skins  (Read 356 times)

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
gluing on snake skins
« on: March 23, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
Just got another 6ft rat snake yesterday and have skinned,fleshed, stretched, tacked and dried it. Now that its dry I was wondering if I could use tbll to glue it? I know Yall say tblll but I have tbll. Also I have tri oil and finish it, Should I put a coat of glue on top after I remove the scales?
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Online DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: gluing on snake skins
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
tb2 will work.  I use tb3 some people use elmers glue.  I think tru oil looks the best over snake skins, but I also thing that it is very fragile overs skins because in my experience it has been scratched easily with a fingernail and hard pressure.  Shellac over skins worked better for me. Poly also seemes tuff.  I don't put a coat of glue on after and never have.  Maybe that is why my tru oil seemed soft.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 03:18:00 AM »
I don't ever seal the scale side with glue. I just use a good finish over them. Tru oil is great for skins. I may try the shellac DVS, I have also used a Massey finish with good results. I don't recommend sealing with super glue. Some folks do it but I really didn't like the results.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Online rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 07:00:00 AM »
Dave sounds like you had old Tru Oil.
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 09:10:00 AM »
Any white wood glue will do. I used them all but the last couple I used TB111.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Online DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »
I thought that too Dan and its possiblible, but the bottle was brand new.  It stumps me.  I may just go with shellac from now on. or spray on poly.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Online rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 03:17:00 PM »
Dave next one you get ready to do, let me know I will show you how I do them.
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
Thanks fella's! I them up last night about 9 p.m. I woke about 2 a.m. hearing a noise like a mouse chewing the skins up. I turned the light on saw one of the skins pulling up. So I removed it carefully and resoaked  it. This time I added more glue. It was pulling up in curve of the limb. I guess becauuse of it being a recurve. This morning I woke up and saw the edges were trying to curl up so I added glue back in that area and heldit  down until the glue started to hold. What is the best way to trim it up on the limb? I was thinking a razed blade to get it close then come back with sandpaper to get it flush with the limb.  Is 200 grit sand paper o.k. because that's what I use to finish most of my wood projects.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
I wrap sandpaper around a block of wood and lightly sand the edges of the limbs.  It will sand through the skin and leave a clean edge.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Online rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
Next one you try, strategically wrap tape around the bow to keep the skin from lifting.  I use maksing tape and after gluing wrap the whole skin onto the bow.
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Offline OzarkMatt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
When I glued my rattler skins up, I used TB2 and then placed plastic wrap over the skins and then wrapped the limbs with bicycle innertubes. I used a razor blade to trim the excess and then sanded a nice clean line in. Protip: Mix a little water in with the TB2 and lightly swab the wood and skins before applying the rest of your regular-thickness glue. Give the thinned stuff a minute to soak in, it'll help adhesion. Pay very close attention to bubbles under the skins, try and work them out but if some show up after your done curing, poke a small hole with a needle and squirt some of the glue in there. They will usually suck in.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others - Thomas Jefferson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©