Author Topic: English Walnut Question  (Read 406 times)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
English Walnut Question
« on: March 25, 2012, 10:41:00 PM »
Ours family has a small ranch in Northern California and we have a bunch of Walnut trees on it. The trees are 60 to 70 years old and from time to time in the pruning process we take some fairly large limbs. The root is Black Walnut but the tops are an English graft and bear the nuts.

My Question is will the English make a bow? I've seen lots of bows made from the Black but can't remember seeing English? I have a never ending supply of English (makes crapy firewood, very dirty burn) so I'm curious???

In the picture you can see the graft at the bottom...

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline dmikeyj

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: English Walnut Question
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 11:05:00 PM »
No idea, but those are some funky looking trees.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
I love fools' experiments. I am always making them.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 11:07:00 PM »
Those are some freaky trees.
What does the wood of English walnut look like?
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 11:14:00 PM »
I was going to ask what happened to those trees!  :scared:    :confused:  
English walnut is a beautiful wood. I'm not sure of it's suitability for bow building, but you could get some nice risers and veneers out of it.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 12:50:00 AM »
When cut and split the English is white with some dark streaks. I have never milled any of it but it split very easy. we used it but burned it green in combination with dry oak or madrone. If you didn't your fire box would be full in a couple of days.

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Living_waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 08:49:00 AM »
Never tried english walnut, black walnut is good if built right. Tim Baker says this about english: European .56. Design as per Black. Not as pretty, but makes a nice bow. Strong enough in tension to tolerate being a backward bow: the crowned sapling surface as belly, the split back surface tillered.
"Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'” Jesus

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »
Im sure its fine.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »
Thank you....  we'll have to see what we can find next trip to the ranch  :)

I need to buy a set of Traditional Bowyers Bible....  been putting it off since I found you folks  :)

Offline OzarkMatt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
If the wood has good figure, English Walnut is worth an absurd amount of money. Absurd as in $300 for a riser sized chunk!
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others - Thomas Jefferson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©