3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow fishing boats  (Read 380 times)

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bow fishing boats
« on: February 24, 2008, 07:23:00 AM »
I'm already thinking about bow fishing again, last year was my first year Drewsbow took my son and me out for some carp shooting on land. We had a blast, I was wondering what type of boat setup is good.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline barebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow fishing boats
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 07:58:00 AM »
I think a small Jon-Boat would be nice. They have a flat botton to stand on and can get into shallow water where the carp area at. Check out this link for the Lund brands. The one in this picture even has a platform in the front to step up on. That would be great for shooting fish.

http://www.lundboats.com/jonboats_06.html
"Killing an animal is intrinsic to the hunt. It shouldn't be glorified, but conducted with respect and reverence..." - Gene Wensel _ Primal Dreams

Offline BrianfromTulsa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 07:59:00 AM »
Anything will work, make sure it's a boat you don't mind getting dirty.

For me, I like a shallow draft boat and you have a real advantage with an elevated platform.  We've had decks as high as 4-5 feet above the water but I've also shot fish out of a canoe so I guess I'm saying that you can make a dream boat for bowfishing but whatever you have will work.

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 08:00:00 AM »
Stone Knife, here's mine. We can get in all the good spots that  a big boat won't go. A 17' Mad River w/ a shooting deck/stabilizer system I made.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 08:17:00 AM »
I will have to get some pictures of a buddys boat that bowfishes tournaments, its a sight.  A deck on the front 4 feet high with enough lights to turn night into day and a honda 4 stroke generator on the back to power all the lights.  

I just have a 14' aluminum with a 4hp mariner that i bowfish out of , works fine for me.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 08:26:00 AM »
I use a little 8' fiberglass two man bass boat with a trolling motor on one end and a 4 hp out board on the other.The boat only pulls a few inches of water,gets back in tight places,is easy to load and unload by myself,but will handle two people very well and is extremely stable.Best of all it is cheap if you pickup a used one.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 08:35:00 AM »
I've shot more fish from a canoe than anything else. I'm building a platform on the front of My john boat now. Will still shoot fish from the canoe on the smaller streams but there's a lot of fish to be shot on the lakes around here. bretto

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 08:41:00 AM »
Sounds like a heck of a rig featherbuster.All I have is a 14.5ft. Old Town canoe and it's a real balancing act trying to stand up in...have come close to falling in many times.Use to have a flat bottom Johnboat that worked well and am gonna keep my eyes open for a decent used one.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »
If you really want to get into it, an airboat with a platform, bank of lights, and two trolling motors up front is the best rig I've ever been in. But a canoe is nice to.
lll

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 10:29:00 AM »
I use the layout boat I use for waterfowl hunting. It's stable enough that I can shoot out of it standing up.

Bill
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline redneckrampage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 10:29:00 AM »
my rig is a 17 foot xpresss duckboat with a custom built platform that is 5x6 foot in size and is about a foot over the rails of the boat, i like that hight as its hig enough to make a real differnce during the day yet come night is still low enough that when i fire up the generator the lights arent too high off the water to really light the fish up, the one biggest thing i would do different from the start is to get a boat as wide as possible to float shallow as possible, if this sounds like some cash it is as i bought everything when i was in iraq and bowfishing accounts for about 85-90 percent of my archery time,

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »
VTer,
can you tell us more about your stabilizer system? Looks pretty cool. Specs would be great.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 03:01:00 PM »
Its all made out of plywood, primed and painted. This is a pic of the new improved floats that I fiberglassed. The arms are double thickness 3/4 ply that lay across the gunwhales and curve down accordingly to the top of the floats. The unit is 6' wide. The platform is as wide as my canoe by 28" deep. The floats ride in the water with maybe a couple inches not drafting. It attaches with one long carriage bolt on each side that goes thru two holes I drilled in the center thwart, tightened with wingnuts. The painted floats lasted for a few years but eventually started taking on water, hence the new ones.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 04:24:00 PM »
My son has a 10' pond prowler that I bought him for Christmas last year.  We just built a plywood deck in the front this morning so he could be a little higher for bowfishing.  The boat has a 56# thrust trolling motor and a pushpole and seems like it is going to be a lot of fun to shoot out of.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 09:32:00 AM »
Thanks VTer,
That's a great idea, now I just gotta go and build one of my own.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 10:37:00 AM »
I use my 15' v-nose...I just built a platform for the front that you can stand and shot off..this year I'm going to add some lights for nighttime.
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 11:53:00 AM »
Thats nice Vtr thanx I just may try that.I've shot out of my canoe standing up with my daughter at the controls and I've not gotten wet so far.Also have a flat bottom but it's not registered so ya hafta row electric trolling motors still count as a motor I've been officially told so  by DEC officer's
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©