Author Topic: wood type for narrow limb board bow  (Read 375 times)

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
wood type for narrow limb board bow
« on: March 26, 2012, 03:38:00 PM »
Considering messing around with building a board bow. From what I've gathered, it seems red oak is most popular, but it requires wide flat limbs. What kinds of wood would allow for narrower, straighter, and deeper core limbs, or can that be had with red oak as well?

I'd be looking for around 70" bow drawing 45 lbs at 29-30 inches.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline OzarkMatt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wood type for narrow limb board bow
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
At 70", you can take red oak down to 1 1/4" in. If you want to go shorter than 70", osage is excellent. You'll have more compression in that design so you need a wood that is strong in compression, dense woods are best. There are lots of woods that will work, red oak is usually used because those of us building board bows are usually better off using inexpensive wood.  ;)

If you do use red oak, try to get a piece with thick late growth rings. The more of the porous early growth, the less compression strength your board has.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 03:55:00 PM »
The reason most people use red oak is because it's easy to get and it works well.

If you can access some dense hickory or white oak you can go narrower.  The king of narrow bows is ipe.

Offline Cuban Missile

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »
If you can get Ipé it works well too.
Javier

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©