Author Topic: learnt something new today.  (Read 242 times)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
learnt something new today.
« on: April 01, 2012, 12:02:00 AM »
i have just posted this as an answer to another thread, but thought i would repost here as an explanation to what many bowyers here have told me!

"i learnt something new today, from a sawyer friend of mine.
1. big difference between dry wood and seasoned wood.
seasoned wood is tougher and finishes better.
wood that is air dried, is seasoning at the same time, hence the higher quality.
2.however wood dried in a commercial kiln set up, is usually dried at a higher temp, for a shorter period of time( costs, and productivity), this quicker drying time can damage the structural integrity of the cellular structure of the wood, as the moisture is forced from it- this will leave a piece of wood that doesnt finish as well, and is also compromised.

if the wood is kiln dried at a much lower temp, over a longer period of time, the damage to the cell structure is minimised. this is obviously not as productive- but if you supply a niche' market, and charge accordingly- then that is the correct way to do it.

my friend produces lumber especially for the boating, and cabinetmaker market- so i geuss he knows his stuff.
hope this helps."

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: learnt something new today.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 02:43:00 PM »
This goes not only for bow woods but also arrow woods.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline johnny girardi

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: learnt something new today.
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »
The origional owner of Old Master Crafters went through this with hard maple 40 yrs ago. Lumber Co.s came out with kiln dryed maple the main stay for bows then.Old Pop John made a bender that with a cam bent a short pc of maple one kiln one air dried.After days of rotation he could'nt find a diff. from one to other.This was a test for limbs and the controlled moisture of kiln dried wood was chosen.I also feel any wood kiln dried does have cell damage but the dryness of kiln dryed wood is insurance for glue bond,shrinkage,and finish.There are some woods you cant and dont want kiln dryed 2"(osage,cococolo,bocote) just to much chance of damage to the wood. Johnny G

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©