Author Topic: Bow Wood Cutting in the Mountains  (Read 350 times)

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow Wood Cutting in the Mountains
« on: April 02, 2012, 12:23:00 AM »
This weekend, my family stayed at a friend's cabin in northern PA.  It rained the entire time.  No TV.  Spotty cell coverage.  It was fantastic.  

On Saturday, my wife was happy to read the day away and just be free of phone calls.  My youngest occupied himself with coloring books and ladybugs in the cabin.  My oldest braved a hike with me and darted in and out between rain showers to plink cans with his BB gun.  I spent most of the day exploring the mountain and looking for bow wood.  I had access to a chainsaw and an ATV, but left those alone in favor of adventure.  I ended up cutting 5 small trees, within 1/2 to 3/4 mile up the mountain from camp.  2 Eastern hophornbeam, 1 hickory, and 2 that I haven't ID'd.  Here's a video of the trip.

This is a closeup of the bark on the two I'm unsure of.  I was leaning towards flowering dogwood when I cut them, but second guessed myself on the way back.  Possibly white oak or hawthorn as well?  The bark is fairly dark overall and and there were no dead leaves clinging to them to help with an ID.  Reading the bark on young trees can be tricky.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Wood Cutting in the Mountains
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
AK, the one pictured here looks like dogwood(you can tell by the bark! d;^) )Dogwood has pinkish colored wood and it should have flower buds on the twig tips. These flower buds are visable before leaf fall the year before.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Rick James

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
Cool Video!
"The credit goes to him who is in the arena, whose face is marred by sweat and blood, who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." T Roosevelt

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
Nice video Adam, Those are some nice lookin woods you're roamin around in. I agree with Pat on the wood id, looks like dogwood to me.

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
I'm still inclined to think dogwood as well.  The bark just seems one-off, and the wood isn't as pink as what I'm used to seeing.  Maybe just a variation due to growing conditions.    :confused:    Whatever, it's turning into a bow!    :D

Offline OzarkMatt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
Thats looks exactly like the flowering dogwood I have around here. The wood in my experience is usually creamy white. Great wood!
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others - Thomas Jefferson

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
Dogwood should make a great bow Adam. Ive seen a few made over on PA website. I went looking for some last week and found lots of them but none straight or long enough to make them worth cutting down. They were really easy to spot with all the white flowers in full bloom, never realized there were that many of them around here.

Offline Black Mockingbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 09:09:00 AM »
Theres no mountains in pa.   "[dntthnk]"      :p    sure looks like the dogwood we have here in pa...careful drying it..it likes to check if rushed too much...if you peel the bark then seal everyside of it,back,sides,belly,ends and all.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
With no leaves, the next best ID is a twig with buds on it. Just the end of a branch from the upper part of the crown will do.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »
Ha, everything in my neck of the woods is blooming.  But, in the northwoods, I was probably just a week early for buds.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©